Who is the breeder that makes all the Wössner crosses?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really a curious discussion about the naming of hybrids.
The nursery of Franz Glanz is in Unterwössen, a small village in the south of Bavaria near the border to Austria. The short name for this village is Wössen and the name of his nursery is Wössner Orchideen. So it is normal that the hybrids which are created in this nursery have also the name Wössner as the first word.

Best greetings

Olaf

It is a pretty common practice, other nurseries that do it include,

Brother, Sogo, I-Hsin, In Charm and Taisuco. Many others...

Kyle

Initially the thread was about "uglyness" within the paph hybrid naming customs - but it seems that we can't get to a consensus about this
and that's ok with me
At the bottom line it should be quite easy to see that adding wossner as a prefix for every primary hybrid is just for commercial purposes and obviously a lack of imagination - honestly if we had the choice would you prefer wossner rothsand to Prince edward of york ?

Names of plants always pose problems for some people....I don't know how many orchid names have turned me off because they were named after political figures I did not/do not care for....However, should a paph end up with one of these awful names, I wouldn't refuse to grow it just for the name, if I was otherwise interested. For some people a name is a serious matter...one grower told me that he had a customer who would never buy a Ho Chi Minh.....his family was from South Vietnam, and still harbored resentment. Some growers can make a lot of crosses and still come up with consistently good names...was it Wilson who came up with all those native American names for his complex paphs? Take care, Eric

I don't even want to take a side on hybrid names...I'm still too stubborn with species names to get involved. I agree with the Wossner Rothsand, as I prefer PEOY much the same way I prefer the name tigrinum over markianum.

Paph. Screwpresbush does have a nice ring to it...may have to name a hybrid here soon...or Paph. Bush's Quagmire.

Jon
________
FORD DLD ENGINE PICTURE

Last edited:
paphjoint said:
At the bottom line it should be quite easy to see that adding wossner as a prefix for every primary hybrid is just for commercial purposes and obviously a lack of imagination - honestly if we had the choice would you prefer wossner rothsand to Prince edward of york ?
Not taking sides here, but it is not obvious to me that there is a lack of imagination in using Wossner in the name. What it shows me is a person who likes where he is and uses the name to identify himself and his work.

For the PEOY question, I don't care what the name is. If I really like the flower, I'll buy it if I can afford it.

Names can be fun, but fun isn't everything.

I think it has already been registered as the result of (Paph. Cheney's Arrogance x Paph. Rumsfeld's Ambition)

Mycorrhizae said:
I think it has already been registered as the result of (Paph. Cheney's Arrogance x Paph. Rumsfeld's Ambition)
rimshotgh9.jpg

*drum-after-joke thing*

I suppose since the RHS is the de facto authority on registration, they can deny obscene names. Whether or not you care what a plant is called is your business, just as it is my opinion that these commercial prefixes are stupid. But I guess at 12 bucks or whatever a pop, all these "advertisements" probably comprise some fixed source of income. If it's your proprietary advanced breeding line, it's one thing, but to bastardize a perfectly good PRIMARY hybrid because your country doesn't adhere to CITES leaves much to be desired in my book. too bad so sad...whatever

Jmoney said:
I suppose since the RHS is the de facto authority on registration, they can deny obscene names.

hmm... then I guess someone better breed Paph philippinense with Paph insigne... coz when mine flowers... I'm calling it -

Paph Phil McRotch

either that or

Paph Phil Me Up!

there does exist an Lc. Jack Off (Jack Cole x Elizabeth Off).

Franz Glanz x Stoned Susan anyone?

Latest posts

Back