White Egret Orchid

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happypaphy7

Paphlover
Reaction score
I bought this one little corm a few years ago.
It would multiply from one to three, three to eight, eight to twenty...then, one severe underwatering and I crashed about half.
That was two years ago and I repeated my mistake two years in a row.
This year, I was determined to see the flowers again and kept it constantly wet.
It is blooming about two months sooner than usual.

lKv87Rfl.jpg

Lovely flowers and dramatic picture. I tried this one once and was not successful. However I grow a bunch of Habenaria successfully. I need to try radiata again.

If you are ever up for a trade please let me know.

Try growing this in a dish of water ( like phrags)?

I do keep this in a container with some water left in it, but it dries out fast and I just got too lazy too often, hence damaging the plants by drying them out.
I've been watering almost every other day this year. It's been working great!

Lovely flowers and dramatic picture. I tried this one once and was not successful. However I grow a bunch of Habenaria successfully. I need to try radiata again.

If you are ever up for a trade please let me know.

Sorry to hear that. Did it get hit by some diseases during the growing season or did it not come back after the dormancy? Or did the corm(s) rot during the dormancy? If the latter, how did you treat them during the winter months?
I haven't grown other Habaneria but as far as I understand, they are tropical? Correct me if I'm wrong.
White Egret Orchid comes from a temperate zone where there are four distinct seasons with winter being very cold.
I keep mine (the entire pot) in the fridge during the winter months. Even during this time, the pot should stay moist.

Other than that, I find this species, at least this plant I have, fuss free and easy to deal with as long as it is kept wet/moist.

The pot has about 12 plants this year. Based on what I've observed of this plant, I expect the number will be about twice or triple the current one. So, I'm more than willing to share some, but I have not disturbed the plant for years and not sure when to do it best. Before the dormancy or after. I would think right before the end of the dormancy because one they sprout, they seem very fragile.

I typically take them out of the fridge around early March. So, let's see.

Sorry to hear that. Did it get hit by some diseases during the growing season or did it not come back after the dormancy? Or did the corm(s) rot during the dormancy? If the latter, how did you treat them during the winter months?
I haven't grown other Habaneria but as far as I understand, they are tropical? Correct me if I'm wrong.
It has been a while since I attempted to growth this. I bought mine as two corm which never came up. I found dried husks in the pot. pretty sure my culture was the issue. I know I did not grow it as you described.

The other Habenaria are intermediate growers requiring a dry rest. I keep the humidity up around them in the winter so I don't need to mess with winter watering. I retain 95% of them year to year and get new growths. I typically separate the corm when I repot. So maybe a trade is in the future for next year.

Latest posts

Back