white complex and brachy hybrid buds

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

merc

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They have been in-bud for what feels like forever. At least a month for the Ice Age and brachy hybrids. I unfortunately have to skip town for a work trip and am afraid I'll miss the blooms. 😭 Any guesses on ETA of first opening? Hoping they'll hold out until I get back. I feel like they are going to bloom while I'm away just to spite me. Little jerks! 😂

69C555CF-A31E-4015-8708-993D6666FCBB.jpeg
A78EDDEC-22F1-4D76-9180-4A875D0C6FEB.jpeg

Unless you’re going to be gone for more than a couple weeks you should still be able to enjoy them when you get back! I often have my house sitters take pictures of anything that opens while I’m gone.

They have been in-bud for what feels like forever. At least a month for the Ice Age and brachy hybrids. I unfortunately have to skip town for a work trip and am afraid I'll miss the blooms. 😭 Any guesses on ETA of first opening? Hoping they'll hold out until I get back. I feel like they are going to bloom while I'm away just to spite me. Little jerks! 😂

View attachment 30838
View attachment 30839
Fingers crossed, it is very exciting.

only out of town for a week so i’ve got my fingers crossed that i don’t miss out on any blooms. like i said i feel like my plants are little terrors like audrey in little shop of horrors and are just waiting for me to leave so they could bloom without me. 😂

i normally don’t ask the dog/house sitter to do anything with the plants around the house. do you ask/trust your house sitters to water your plants? i have a lot of brachys and brachy hybrids that are super picky about how they're watered. plus, the dogs are usually trying to hustle the sitter out of more treats, cuddles, outside adventures and/or chicken visits. also, i have way too many plants around the house that have entirely different watering needs from ferns, hoyas, lithops to orchids --- enough to make anyone's head spin. i feel like i ask a lot out of our sitter already so i try to keep the household tasks to a minimum.

One week is nothing. Those fat buds are about a couple of weeks before opening up max I would guess.
Complex paphs stay in bloom for good 2-3 months easily, so you won't miss anything. ;)
What is that shorty on the second photo? looks kind of like sukhakulii x bellatulum type of leaves and buds? You have some interesting things going on there!

Only one week of no watering won't really hurt. Just make sure that you move the budded plants away from bright light and source of heat while you're gone. Cooler and shaded place will do them fine for one week. If your place has a heater on and it is too dry and warm, then, I would consider keeping them bagged up during your absence. When I travel for longer than one week (usually two three weeks), I keep my plants inside a clear or semi-clear plastic bags (trash bags or vegetable bag) and it has worked very well for me. Water them really good before leaving and as soon as you return. Good luck!

Last edited:
Do you have a fogging mister bottle? I agree with watering well right before leaving. I also would suggest a fogging mist by the caregiver, directed into the AIR — NOT at the plants, but at least 4 feet above them — for 30 seconds or so anytime she’s around in the AM. I fog all buds that are trying to open in dry winter air, it seems to help.

Place them slightly cooler to arrest the flowering, would be what I would do, when away for just one week at this time of year -keeping in mind, that we are in the winter months up here on these Northern latitudes. If you are somehow living closer to equator, you might have to take recourse to more drastic means like the ones described in the recent posts.

One week is nothing. Those fat buds are about a couple of weeks before opening up max I would guess.
Complex paphs stay in bloom for good 2-3 months easily, so you won't miss anything. ;)
What is that shorty on the second photo? looks kind of like sukhakulii x bellatulum type of leaves and buds?

I think it's amazing you can ID based on leaves and bud alone! Your guess is spot on. Someday I hope to be able eye plants like that.

Latest posts

Back