Which species needs to be chilled??

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marco

Slipperless member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone knows of a link to anywere that would have a list of which species needs to be chilled in order to initiate a spike?

Chilled is a relative term. What is interesting is that some of the species that were from areas that do experience frost or light snow (armeniacum and micranthum) will bloom just fine with winter lows in the 50's at night, and don't seem to need freezing temps to initiate blooms. Even phals may need some nights in the 60's to initiate spikes.

I run most of my collection into the mid to high 50's in the winter. Some species like the high elevation parvis, faerianum, and hursutisimum are near the greenhouse walls were it will run a bit cooler. Most of the warm preference plants (Bulbos and Phals) are hanging, and it stays a touch warmer at head height.

Rick do you have any roths or sands in your collection? If you do do they experience the mid to high 50's in the winter with the rest of your collection? And do they bloom for you as well?

Marco said:
Rick do you have any roths or sands in your collection? If you do do they experience the mid to high 50's in the winter with the rest of your collection? And do they bloom for you as well?

My sanderianum is only a few years old, but my oldest roth bloomed this year.

Philippense and lowii bloom like clockwork every year, and this spring my supardii and kolopakingii bloomed. They all go through about the same temp regime, but vary in the amount of light they experience.

Marco,

I keep my night temperatures at 48-50 degrees fahrenheit all winter

Latest posts

Back