Which should I get, fischeri or schlimii?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottMcC

Reaction score
I can only get one of them, and am having trouble deciding which I like more. They're both small, fuzzy, pink phrags, and both are the same price and in spike. Visually I think I like the fischeri a little better, but I've never seen either in person, so it could just be deceptive photography. Of course, I could just get Pink Panther and have both, except that they're sold out.

http://www.orchidweb.com/cat_dtl.asp?P_Recno=557&f_pagenumber=1&tpn=1

http://www.orchidweb.com/cat_dtl.asp?P_Recno=3748&f_pagenumber=1&tpn=1

Well, fischeri is a smaller plant, which is nice I think. Though I have a few and am still learning to grow them well.

For the price, I'd get the schlimii since it's mature and in spike whereas the fischeri are probably seedlings.

EDIT: d'oh, both are in spike. I like the shape and coloring of schlimii more to be honest, but I'm no good at decisions like that and so have both.

Jon
________
Lamborghini lm001

Last edited:
Hi Scott,

I would get the fischeri. It has better shaped flowers, that are more contrasting in color (dark pink to purple pouch, with light pink petals that are dark in the center of the petals). Also the fischeri plant stays more compact. The only advantage of Phrag. schlimii is that it may be a little easier to grow than the fischeri.

And in if you really can't decide; probably by next year we will be selling Phrag. Pink Panther again....the hybrid between Phrag. fischeri and Phrag. schlimii (see my avitor and my first post)....it has all the good qualities of both parents, and shows hybrid vigor; it grows much easier than either parent.

Robert

After seeing the good doctor's Pink Panther this weekend, I would recommend waiting for one rather than getting either parent species. Both are tricky in my hands and I suspect I'm not the only one. The hybrid looks vigorous.

Failing that, I'd get the fischeri... it is less common.

Rob

I'm with Rob (littlefrog). If i had the choice id wait for the hybrid other fischeri it is.

Hey Doc, question on the pink panther. Can it thrive in warm conditions with no limpy leaves? (possibilty year round ) at 70f-89f hi/low? Thanks :)

Hi Rob (Littlefrog)! It was good to see you in person in Milwaukee! ....It is funny that we have two (that I know of) Dr. Rob's on this forum...

Marco,

to answer you question. Phrag. Pink Panther will probably do better in warmer conditions compared to either one of it's parents, but I would not say that it would thrive there. It probably does best in cool to intermediate conditions. We used to have a lot of our Phrag hybrids in our warmest house. They used to grow OK there, but after we moved a lot of them (especially our besseae and besseae hybrids) to our coolest house we noticed they did a lot better there, and the flower quality (both size and color) improved a lot.

Robert

OH, and I forgot, by next year we will have a new cross available too. I crossed Phrag. Pink Panther onto a very flat well shaped Phrag. besseae. so these should be kind of inbetween a Phrag. Hanne Popow and a Phrag. Barbara LeAnn, but probably rounder in shape. The seedlings have been growing like weeds.

Robert

The fischeri seem to be a darker purple consistently. I too am waiting for the fischeriXschlimii cross to become available again. I hope I dont have to wait in line. E.

uh oh...tricky how? I don't like the sound of that one bit, especially coming from someone who's semi-pro at this business.

this may change things entirely...

edit: and furthermore, if these two are indeed overly tricky, does anyone have any suggestions of something slightly less tricky from www.orchidweb.com's in spike/bloom list? thanks!

I'm actually not at all the world's best phrag grower. Or even in the top half, I imagine. I was pretty good until I built the greenhouse, now I'm learning all over again. So just because I can't grow it, doesn't mean you can't.

For me, schlimii fails to thrive. It grows, it just doesn't _grow_... Same with fischeri. I do fine with the hybrids, though.

Heather,

I will not stop you from getting both species and the primary hybrid :poke:. I'm sure you will be most happy with all 3. It will gain you the satisfaction of species conservation as well as having a unique hybrid.

-Jason

Jason Fischer said:
Heather,

I will not stop you from getting both species and the primary hybrid :poke:. I'm sure you will be most happy with all 3. It will gain you the satisfaction of species conservation as well as having a unique hybrid.

-Jason
Sounds good. Are you offering a special????

Jason Fischer said:
Heather,

-Jason

Hmm, I'm not sure that was meant for me. I've had both species in the past and neither of them did that much for me so they moved on to better homes. That said I do like Pink Panther quite a bit!

Latest posts

Back