Which plant is the attention grabber in your collection?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carkin

Reaction score
I was wondering what people Ooooo and Ahhhhh over when they come to visit you.

Ironically the one that gets the most interest in my collection is not a favourite of mine. And it has never bloomed! And it's not a slipper! Go figure.
I think it's just because I have it in a jar...ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398118895.690257.jpg
Stelis restrepioides

Plant?
Never any of the orchids.

Growing castor bean next to Canna Phasion gives the oo/ah reaction consistently.
We have a corner lot. By August it is a traffic stopper.

Incredible Dendrobium, Fred, I love Formosae Dens.

Bulbophyllum medusae is probably my favorite head-turner, even as a small plant with one or two umbels it's hard to beat.

Lepanthes telipogoniflora for sure.

4hyf.jpg
ildm.jpg
s74g.jpg

Doesn't seem to ever matter what orchids are in bloom, peoples' attention first goes to the bromeliads, even if they're tucked to the back of the collection. Granted, that's not one specific plant, so it's a bit of a cheat in terms of answering the question.

There are generally two aspects that attract attention. First, some people are immediately drawn to the "air plants", aka tillandsias, because the growth habit is so different from anything they are familiar with. The tills just spark curiosity in people. Second, most of the other genera I grow (like the crypts and neos) have very brightly colored and attractively patterned foliage year round that just seems to pop, more so than the parvis and mottled leaf paphs.

If I limit my answer to orchids, the plants that people notice first are the phals. Not any specific one, just whatever happens to be in bloom at the time. I have enough of them, and enough variety, that there's usually at least one in bloom at any given time.

If I limit my answer to just the slippers, then the answer depends on what's in bloom at the time, and size tends to be more of an attention grabber than color. So, for instance, the caudatum group and kovachii hybrids usually get some kind of reaction, the besseae and schlimii group rarely get a mention.

Overall, there seems to be an inverse correlation ... the more enthusiastic I am about a particular orchid, the less likely it is that non-plant or non-orchid folks will take any interest.

Overall, there seems to be an inverse correlation ... the more enthusiastic I am about a particular orchid, the less likely it is that non-plant or non-orchid folks will take any interest.

Hahaha...I have found the EXACT same thing!!!

Great answer, love the detail!

The "Dend williamsonianum" with the lip upside down is Dendrobium schrautii

were a few for sale at the philly orchid show, but they looked so dried out already that I didn't think there was any chance for their survival

They usually tend to look like that. Mine came in with 5 leaves, 4 by the time I got it home.

I have to remove mine from its mount. I have been holding off as long as I can but it needs to be done. I can let you know if I have a division. I also have a healthy division of L. caprimulgus.

Latest posts

Back