Which orchids grow naturally in your area?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Dane

Do you have any orchid species growing naturally in your area, and approximatly how many?

Please feel free to post pictures of them:p

I've got Disa polyginodes, mystacidium capensis, aerangis mystacidii, mystacidium venosum, mystacidium flaneganii, angraceum pucillum, polystachya pubescens, polystachya ottoniana, polystachya sandersonii, habineria arenaria, Bonetia speciosa and different satiriums....

I'll post pictures soon...

In interior Alaska, I have seen only 2 species so far. Calypso bulbosa (fairly common in our neighborhood) and Cypripedium guttatum (a pretty big population).

Nymph:
9106736912_fd831d607c.jpg

This photo has an old-fashioned look (softish) because it is taken with a vintage lens (Makro-Kilar A 40mm/f2.8), but I might have missed the focus a bit (I didn't have enough concentration because Alaska's unofficial state birds were surrounding me).

A group photo:
9106737190_a6324d6dab.jpg

Calypso bulbosa is definitedly one of the most beautiful orchids to me. Great.
We havo got Orchis, Ophrys, Habenaria, Serapias, Neotinea and Gennaria over here.

Those calypso are beautiful

The most common orchids within walking distance of my house are Spiranthes (lady's tresses) and Goodyera (rattlesnake plantain). But Tupilaria (cranefly orchid and Malaxis lilliofolia aren't too hard to find if you walk a lot. I've seen a few Puttyroot winter leaves (never flowers) and a few Corralizae too.

Some locals have said they know about patches of yellow lady slippers and Showy orchids nearby, but I haven't gone on any hikes with them to see them. My wife was shown a yellow fringed orchid on a neighbors property, but I didn't get to see that one either.

East Tn and West NC has many more species, but that's about a 5 hour drive.

E.helleborine used to grow in the playground a block from my house, but I haven't seen it in over a year.

Cyp. acaule (white and pink form) grows happily in our own woodland. In the garden Epipactis helleborine is a nice "weed". I've found a Spiranthes sp. many year ago.

Cyp. pubescens is fairly common in the region and we often find Platanthera psycodes in open woodlands. I saw magnificient plants of Cyp. reginae too but it is not common at all. I also saw Gelearis spectabilis in a Maple Sugar Stand (a rare plant too) and Platanthera blephariglottis in a bog.

Dendrobium crumenatum, Cymbidium finlaysonianum, Bulbophyllum vaginatum and medusae, Arundina graminifolia.. These are the most common epiphytic and terrestrial orchids in lowland Malaysia. You can find them growing on roadside trees..Arundina grows on very sunny slopes all along the main highway which connects the Northern and Southern regions..

Dendrobium crumenatum, Cymbidium finlaysonianum, Bulbophyllum vaginatum and medusae, Arundina graminifolia.. These are the most common epiphytic and terrestrial orchids in lowland Malaysia. You can find them growing on roadside trees..Arundina grows on very sunny slopes all along the main highway which connects the Northern and Southern regions..

I remember big stands of them on sunny slopes along the road up through the Cameron Highlands.

There also seemed to be some which were distinctly larger flowered than others. We also found a small bulbophylum and a dendrobium growing on the tea trees at BOH. I never identified what they were, do you have any idea?

As the crow flies, we have Cyp. acaule less than two miles away.
It is a small patch.

My mother in law said these grew everywhere when she was a kid. Lots of houses here now...

Latest posts

Back