Which one?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was on the team that was giving those ribbons, Dot. I thought it was kind of funny that we couldn't agree on the best one as a team, either. Split right down the middle. The third Fair Fred didn't get a blue, it got a second, I believe. I did suggest we pull them all since they were all nice, to judge them as a group. I didn't do the AOS judging, don't know what the comments were.

Rob

Silly question but when a situation such as what you described occurs, would there be anything so wrong with awarding both with best knocking out second? Even in soccer ties are allowed so why not with orchids?

For ribbon judging? There aren't any rules that restrict us from giving the ribbons we think are appropriate. We don't need to award to three places (sometimes we just give a third or second, no first), or we can do more. We usually stick to three places, but not always. I suppose we could have bumped the third Fair Fred to third, but it was really nice too.

In green complex paphs we awarded two firsts, two seconds, and a third. But that was apples and oranges, since we had some very nice Maudiae types (old ones, like 'The Queen' and Claire de Lune 'Edgar Van Belle') in perfect condition, and some absolutely huge complex greens. In my mind at that point it is almost like dividing the class in half, awarding one set of ribbons to maudiae types and one to complex.

Yes, we are just pushing off the decision sometimes. When we go to award the best Paph trophy we would have to go back and look at all the firsts and might need to break the ties. That can be painful. But often, we don't have to worry about it, usually our trophy plant is in a class it clearly dominated.

Other shows might do it differently. Ribbon judging is really a function of the show, not the AOS. We go by the show rules. Most of the shows I judge follow the same basic ribbon rules, but I'm sure other regions do different things.

I know what it is, the color of the second one seems disconcerting. Almost as if it is mismatched even though the petals are real nice. The first one seems more pleasing to the eye from a color standpoint.

It's kind of nice to know that when giving out ribbons there can be a tie, particularly when a situation such as this occurs.

Latest posts

Back