Which one?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dear ... oh ... dear ! ... #2 is in the lead by 13 votes to 10.
OK ... OK , I know I can't vote twice ... but ... damn ...
... #1 is sooo gorgeous ...
... and no one said I can't indulge in a little propaganda rant
on behalf of #1 ;) Go on then, read the rules if don't believe me ...
... it's not there ... yup ! ... told you ... says zip about this :p

After all, how negligent of me would it be to sit on my hands and do nothing when quite clearly there are poor suffering souls :sob: to be saved from the tyranny of measurement :evil: and the shackles of formulaic aesthetics. :(

If you were thinking of voting for #2 ... don't ... pause for moment and think about the following. Look at the lack of color co-ordination between pouch and dorsal on #2 ... do you really want this on your conscience for the rest of life :eek: . Now look at number one, cast your eye up from the bottom of the pouch ... following the contour you will see how perfectly it leads onto the contour of the dorsal on both sides ... and how the stance of the petals compliments this form ... pure elegance ! So go on ! ... do the right thing ... follow the path to enlightenment :D... and join us #1 voters on a higher plane of aesthetic awareness :poke:

Cheers,
Tim

:rollhappy::rollhappy: to funny Tim! Actually I thought #1 had taken over .....
so #2's ban together!!! :clap::clap:I think Tim has different color on his screen or it's his eyesight or both!!!
Dot - look what you started - did you ever think it would lead to this?

I have to go with number 1, I really like the petals on number 2, but I don't care for the pouch on 2.

Dot - look what you started - did you ever think it would lead to this?
This is great!:clap:

Here's the story: Porter's Orchids got a batch of Paph. hybrids in bud a couple of weeks ago. I happened to be there volunteering when they came in, so I helped unpack them. I saw these two fairrieanum crosses, and noted them to Bill Porter. We decided to set them aside to see how they would look when in flower. When I came back a week later, they were both open. I asked Bill which one he liked best, and he said #2. That was great, because I was attracted to #1. The reasoning for both of us was pretty much what everyone has posted. He said we should put them both in the next show if they are still open, and see what the judges thought. I said I'd put their photos up on Slippertalk and see what everyone here thought.

I'm actually pretty amazed that the choices are so close. I thought the vast majority would choose #2 because of it's size and roundness. The essential reason I chose #1 is the fairrieanum influence, which is what caught my eye in the first place. I'd have been happy with either one, but am pleased that #1 is in my collection, and #2 is in Bill's.

Thanks everyone! This has been a really fun thread for me, and I hope you've enjoyed it also.

So.....?
Did you do the math?
Who won the beauty contest here?
I guess I could scroll back and count, but I'm way too lazy. :)

if we go from myxodex count, because I, too, am too lazy to scroll back - it looks like #1 - 12, #2 -14.

I like them both but mostly the second one because of better colour patern...

I promised to let everyone know what happened:

Bill and I both took our plants to the Saginaw Valley Orchid Society Show Thanksgiving weekend. Guess what! Both were given blue ribbons -- so it looks like the judges were torn between the two, also!

And another interesting thing: someone else also had one of these at the show, and it's my understanding that it also got a blue ribbon!
All 3 flowers were pulled for AOS judging, but they were all 'passed."

So there you have it. Personal preference!

By the way, I learned before taking the plant to the show that it has been named: Fair Fred.

Latest posts

Back