Which cross?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sue

evil genius
Reaction score
Ok, so my Paph. Orchilla 'Chilton' FCC/AOS is in bloom. As long as this keeps happening, I suppose I might as well ask whether anybody thinks this was mislabeled, as it does seem to be an especially dark blooming compared to the pics I've seen around.

a pretty bad picture:
normal_DCP_2483.JPG

Anyhow, assuming that it is correctly labeled, the question is: which cross I should attempt?

Current blooms:

villosum
normal_DCP_2469.JPG

Avalon Mist
normal_DCP_2340.JPG

Henrietta Fujiwara
normal_DCP_1828.JPG

Or, about to open (first blooms for me, so no pics):

Paph. Barbilight (Barbi Playmate x Nulight 'Hampshire' HCC/AOS)
Paph. Quies (curtisii ‘#1’ x hookerae ‘Big’)
Paph. Taisuco America’s Sprite (Pinocchio x niveum)

The Orchilla would be the pod parent on any of these crosses.

Whaddya think?

(I'm also interested in advice re: making successful Paph crosses, as the couple I've tried before haven't taken)

I have an Orchilla x delenatii seedling. The Orchilla is so round, I wonder how any of those hybrids would work with it?

Ok, Messrs. don't-want-to-give-me-an-inside-the-box-answer, the only ones which can carry a pod are the Orchilla, the Henrietta Fujiwara, the Avalon Mist, the Taisuco American's Yada Yada, and, actually a Joe Headrick (a complex yellow-green) which has a couple weeks until it's open.

And I'm keeping them. Except possibly the Joe Headrick.

The villosum x Orchilla is a strong contender for me, though. I'm leaning towards Quies x Orchilla though. Anyway, this is fun, and I should try a couple crosses, I suppose, as long as I'm at it.

SlipperFan said:
I have an Orchilla x delenatii seedling. The Orchilla is so round, I wonder how any of those hybrids would work with it?

Yeah, I guess a good thing for me to do would be to try to find pics of Orchilla crosses.

Anybody have any pics around?

I second selfing the villosum... It is a very nice one. But I don't think it is a real villosum. Nor are almost any of the 'villosum' in cultivation. I think most of them are contaminated with druryi. That split petal with the dark line is a dead give-away. Maybe Guido or somebody else could tell me if I'm right.

As Leo was kind enough to share with me, it is best not to judge the flower on a complex hybrid until the plant is multigrowth and established with a large root system like in say a gallon pot.

I personally would save the pollen and wait until I had access to a rothschildianum or William Ambler in hopes of a very large dark flower...but that's just how my mind works.

Jon

Latest posts

Back