which cross would you do?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually (Dr Rob back me up on this, I may be an idiot), sargentianum (or whatever it is called now) brings some excellent color enhancement to the party. Just look what it does for besseae. You wouldn't have Andean Fire without sargentianum, or Jason Fisher.

I'm stunned that I haven't seen sargentianum x kovachii offered for sale yet. That would be my first choice to make, if I had a blooming kovachii, anyway.

Edit: Andean Fire is made with lindleyanum, I'm thinking Mem. Dick Clements. Same thing, actually.

Yes, you are right. You let out the big secret......... In my mind I was already planning to cross kovachii to sargentianum, and cross the resulting cross back to kovachii (and going to name it Phrag. Robert Quene), it will be deep red in color (similar to the Phrag. Windsor Castle that got awarded) and about 10 times larger than Phrag Jason Fischer.....The race is on who can create it the first........I think it will be the best Phrag hybrid that will be out there.

Robert

I am just venturing into Phrag breeding and have much to learn...besides sargentianum intensifying color...are there other breeding info on other species that I would find helpful in making future decisions? I have only done 2 previous Phrag crosses and only one of them took.

With Phrag crosses I have noticed there is only a small window available of when to make the crosses. I always try to make the cross when the pollen is still fresh, about 1 to 2 days after the flower is fully open. Also the flower that you are pollinating should be pretty fresh (about 1 to 2 days fully open). If you wait too long the success rate of pollination goes down.

Robert

Good job, Robert! I hope to someday purchase a Phrag. Robert Quene from you. You are an excellent breeder, in my very humble opinion. Probably among the best.

Phrag. Haley Decker since I like besseae shape the other cross has lindlyanum and longifolium in its background.

Ramon:)

I crossed the Phrag Alfredo Manrique onto Phrag Patti McHale (pearcei x sargentianum) Hoping to get more intense color, longer blooming period, increased flower size and increased bud count. Let's hope it takes. I have one more bud left and there is still one more bud on the Alfredo Manrique

thank you for the advice...I a novice at breeding Phrags

I have only done one previous Phrag cross. Dominianum 'Bob Mac' onto my Schroederae (caudatum X Sedenii)

Latest posts

Back