Which class? Paph Mary's Little Leopard

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigleaf

Reaction score
We have a show this weekend. I'm trying to fit this flower into one of the following class.

b4896ee0b3e0cbabd1960c17d2132634.jpg

Would you say this is a complex hybrid? If so, would it fall into 234 other colors?

It looks like a Paph henryanum hybrid but there are 4 species in the background.

220-225. Paphiopedilum primary hybrids and hybrids resembling primary (use predominant color of overall flower)

220. white

221. red/pink

222. yellow/green

223. bronze/mahogany

224. vinicolor

225. other colors

230-234. Paphiopedilum complex hybrids (use predominant color of overall flower)

230. white/pink

231. yellow/green

232. red/bronze/mahogany

233. boldly spotted

234. other colors

Thank you both. No, there is no miniature category in SWROGA (South West Regional Orchid Growers Association) show schedule.

I think you should suggest that they need a miniature category.
With that said, I would like to place this under 225 because the flower shouts Doll's Kobold overall.

Complex spotted category seems inappropriate because it just does not look anything like the typical spotted "bulldog" flower, although it is technically complex having 4 species in its making.

The guideline says that too inside the parenthesis, that they want to use predominant color of overall flower.
So, it is definitely a reminiscent of Doll's Kobold without fail.

Can you try asking a judge before entering? If not then I would probably try white/pink. When a class is judged and a flower is not in the correct class a judge can move it down into it's proper class as long as that class hasn't already been judged....that's why I suggest entering it into the earliest colour class.

I'd try and find a judge at the show before entering it though....that way you'd know for sure.

PS....this doesn't look primary to my eyes....but then again I'm not a judge.

My understanding is that if it is not a species or a primary hybrid, the classification is complex. Primary means that both parents are a species. That eliminates anything between 220 - 225. So of the choices left, I'd go with 234 because I wouldn't call the spots on the "bold."

That's the trouble with the classification systems -- many times the plants just don't fit!

I didn't know it was for the judging purpose. lol

This is a complex, but up there in the first post, the first group says primary or hybrid resembling primary.
This one strongly resemble Doll's Kobold than any spotted complex.

Then, again, there really is no clear fitting category for this one to fit in.

I agree with Happypaphy7 that there needs to be a miniature category. Otherwise how can you judge it against a large complex Paph. Given the importance of size in this breeding there can only be winner. When creating miniatures, breeders are focused on different things, hence miniatures should be judged differently

I took Dot's advice and entered this as other color. It got a blue ribbon. The committee will have to add a miniature category for the future show.

c537d2d6a29dc2a8e4c9bfcfe6794af5.jpg

Congratulations!
That is a very attractive little hybrid, anything with henryanum in its background is going to be difficult to slot into a classical judging schedule.

Well done Peter. I adore the smaller growing paphs. For us indoor growers smaller paphs means we can grow more of them.

Latest posts

Back