Where do YOU buy your Phrag mix?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kentuckiense

Debaser
Reaction score
I'm just looking to purchase some seedling bark / charcoal / spongerock. Premixed or separate, whichever. Who has had good experiences with what vendors?

kentuckiense said:
I'm just looking to purchase some seedling bark / charcoal / spongerock. Premixed or separate, whichever. Who has had good experiences with what vendors?

Before I went Prime Agra w/ Ray, I always bought then seedling Paph. mix from Kelley's Korner in ME. and my Phrags seemed to enjoy it (especially the besseae related ones.)

Hydroton and growdan growcubes from local hydroponic store. With how many bags I've walked out of that store with in the last two months, the guy that works there must think I supply the whole state of Ohio with pot(at least I think that's what that high eyebrowed smirk means).

Jon
________
Erotic

Last edited:
Our apartment manager asked me today what I was growing in our apartment. I don't think she believed me when I said it was orchids. The swat team moves in at 5 a.m.

I've ordered from Robert's Flower Supply (www.orchidmix.com), in Ohio... but I've heard that the Crystal Company in St. Louis is cheaper if you take shipping into consideration. I haven't tried them yet, though.

Matt

PHRAG said:
Our apartment manager asked me today what I was growing in our apartment. I don't think she believed me when I said it was orchids. The swat team moves in at 5 a.m.
:rollhappy:
My husband teases me that the police will come and knock down our door someday to see what's growing under lights in our basement...

I'm very fortunate. I have a state police investigator living next to me. I can just send them over there to verify what I grow....but I do live on a golf course and have had golfers standing by my windows on occasion.

Grandma M

Do you have a local orchid nursery? Most will be happy to sell you a bag of mix, or the components. You might pay a little more (likely they paid close to retail for the mix to begin with), but the convenience factor is high. And it is an excuse to go shopping...

I have had good luck with Wayne Roberts (orchidmix.com). I've ordered coconut from Crystal, but Wayne is a bit closer to me and has everything, so I usually just do one big order from him. Sphagnum moss I buy from Quality Growers (as good as anything, as far as I can tell, and less expensive).

I have gotten most of my media and supplies from Kelley's Korner. They have good prices and charge shipping at cost. I used to use their [excellent] paph mix exclusively and probably still would, but for the Wellensteins' praise of CHC. KK has added a CHC based mix recently, although I have not tried it as I have gotten into the habit of mixing up my own.

As an aside, my most versatile orchid tool is pair of giant tweezers that I got from KK. It's useful in so many ways...

--Stephen

In addition to Ray and Wayne Roberts, Crystal River Orchid Supply in Fla. is very good. I make my own mix and buy everything separately. I use bark on phrags, but for paphs I use CHC, for which the Crystal Co. is very good. (Crystal Co. is different from Crystal River....) My biggest problem is finding true #4 spongerock....haven't seen it in years, from any source. Take care, Eric

Thanks for all the responses, guys! I will keep them all in mind in the future.

This time I just went with my old stand by, Kelley's Korner.

I ordered:

1/4 cu. foot seedling(Paph/Phrag) mix
1/4 cu. foot CHC/diatomite/charcoal/spongerock mix
10 2" aircones
5 2.5" aircones
pack of tags (25)
little bottle of ProTekt (to get past the $30 minimum)

Back