Where and Where Not To Buy Slippers On Ebay

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had pretty good luck with most ebay sellers. I'd have to agree, one needs to watch what comes from banjojohnboy, and sometimes it's hard to judge a plant by a thumb nail picture. I got my Paph. Vera Pellachia (stonei x St.Swithin) from keikeipro, it was in a 1 gallon pot, has 4 growths, all at different maturity. The oldest growth has a leafspan of easily 24". Sounds pretty good doesn't it. The picture looked great! Upon arrival, the gallon pot size got jumbled around & about 25% of the media was out of the pot. The plant was about falling out of the pot, what roots it had were maybe
1- 1 1/2"!:sob: I took pics & contacted them immediately. The guy was very apologetic, it was a donation from an orchid society member that was getting out of them. He never thought to check it due to all the top growths, one would never expect the plant to look that good with basically no roots. He refunded all my money, including the shipping. So far the plant is doing fine but I hate to disturb it to check the root progress, at some point I will have to, as it's the only way I'll know for sure were I'm headed with this plant.

I've gotten plants from keikipro- a 2 growth fairreanum and a 2 growth Gloria Naugle, both very low priced, in large pots. I immediately repotted them...while the roots were old, they were healthy and the plants are doing fine. Personally, I wish all ebay paph sellers would ship plants bare-root...would save everyone a lot of hassle, and some expense...even if it meant work for the recipient. Take care, Eric

ogonewild!!!! why isnt that that Lance guy that grows in rocks???
:poke:
inside joke to you new folks, Lance has phenomenal plants btw.

icepengwyn its alex challis from NWO

got some awesome neos. Lost some to rob42 and brunesomething. they got me seconds at the end luckily alex had seconds left aside :)

Heh... Alex makes good money on Neos on e-bay. But as a little secret from just me to you, he always has more, so if you lose on the auction just drop him an e-mail.

Neos grow great in my greenhouse. Too bad they are all Alex's...

I'd have to agree, one needs to watch what comes from banjojohnboy, .

Goldenrose ,I think you misunderstood rdhed's quote , they quoted "Another good seller not mentioned is 'banjojohnboy'. "
I looked at banjojohnboy's feedback ,and out of almost 1,000 orchids sold , banjojohnboy only had one negative feedback, and that was from a person that only had an 87.5% feedback from only 6 transactions.

Thanks for pointing that out Gilda. I was speaking from experience, I've gotten plants from him - they're OK, they were not plants I'd refuse or leave negative feedback on. It's just a matter of one gets what you pay for. One needs to look closely at the photos & the plants don't always look good & healthy, like they've been properly cared for. I think there are better sellers on ebay. Feedback is a guideline ...... how many have not left a negative feedback on a seller because they were afraid that in doing so the seller then in turn we leave one on them to retaliate?

Sometimes its better to look at the number of bids. If an established Ebay grower with good feedback never seems to get bids, there must be a reason for it. I can think of one in particular...Take care, Eric

Heh... Alex makes good money on Neos on e-bay. But as a little secret from just me to you, he always has more, so if you lose on the auction just drop him an e-mail.

Neos grow great in my greenhouse. Too bad they are all Alex's...

Thanks for the heads up Rob. I hope the two i picked up from him gives you a bit more room. :)

Hello all,

I've bought plants from four ebayers that are from Germany:

the_wild_orchid
princess.mikasa
eco-sieben
orchideengeier

The last two are preferable if sm wants to buy multiple items, but all sent plants in great condition....
I've also purchased plants from thai_tropical_plants (didn't combine shipping costs as I expected, but is a great communicator...)

All are very cooperative...,

Best regards, Thanasis

The Bad:
orchidspeed: Really sad, little plants in decomposing medium (the only orchid that I haven't been able to nurse back to health). In a year the damned thing had produced one leaf. :mad:
jkorchids: Sent to the wrong address when it arrived turned out to be a very unsatisfying plant, although it's doing okay now.

The Good:
orchidtn : always awesome, healthy plants
paphrag : bought a really nice division
orchidviolets1 : happy with the plant
ogonewild: Lance is awesome, always great to buy from.
orchidblaine : nice plant
angelstreetorchids: nice health plants

I like the way practicallyostensible listed out the bad and the good. Really easy to figure out what the actual eBay seller's user name is that way as opposed to reading their real names in some of the posts above.

This is really good information. In the past, for about 6 years, I bought and sold carnival glass on e-bay so I know it can be a good experience but being new to the orchid world I have been reluctant to buy orchids there. Thanks for the thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very good! Clackamas Orchids has never let me down...I've gotten some great deals (multigrowth villosum and hirsutissimum, a large single growth dianthum) for only $20....assorted other plants...all are healthy and large for the price...however he does apparently grow under high light, so many plants arrive looking pale...Oh, and he also always adds a free seedling. take care, Eric

Time to bump this thread up!
I've gotten some nice masdies & dracs recently from Joe Bigio, he is orchidsman570.

Latest posts

Back