Where and Where Not To Buy Slippers On Ebay

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bwester

Reaction score
Figured this would be a good idea for people looking to buy on ebay. I think this might have been done before, but I would like to have a collection of sellers that are honest and a bit about them including any personal dealings you may have had with them.

springwaterorchids

Thanh has excellent slippers at very reasonable prices. I have bought from him several times and have never once been disappointed.

hummingbirdhighway

Jamie Lawson. He is a bit of a legend in the slipper world and sometimes offers up divisions of his plants. Grab them when he does, they are always nice. Once again, I have bought from him in the past and always been satisfied.

monsoonflora

Very nice people. I have bought a few plants and a compot or two from them and they are excellent plants. I think they do their own flasking also.

orchidsolo

Orchids of Los Osos. Awesome plants and excellent customer service.

Jamie Lawson. He is a bit of a legend in the slipper world and sometimes offers up divisions of his plants. Grab them when he does, they are always nice. Once again, I have bought from him in the past and always been satisfied.
I've been a bit put off, concerned that the size of some of the divisions seemed rather small & therefore harder to establish. It sounds like that should not be a concern on my end?

I have purchased from all but Jamie. I have no complaints. Boston Orchids, (just changed names) - very nice quality and some paph complex's you don't come across!

I have to second everything said about Thanh Nguyen and Orchids of Los Osos...also 925 Micheal, Shtief, Clackamas, and of course our own Matt Gore. I've generally had good luck on ebay.One thing to check out is the number of bidders. There are some Ebay regulars who have decent feedback, yet very few bids on there extremely frequent offers...there is usually a good reason for that...Take care, Eric

I have had good transactions with Orchidtn. I have placed two separate "orders" with him. Shipping was quick, plants nicely packed and large for the price. Most, if not all of his stuff, doesn't have clonal information, but then again, the price I am paying reflects that.

My only concern with his plants is what they are potted in. The medium is very dense and heavy in my opinion -- large pieces of bark with a lot of soil like debris mixed in. I repot right away.

I would recommend. Two transactions, both good.

Christian,
central NJ

My only concern with his plants is what they are potted in. The medium is very dense and heavy in my opinion -- large pieces of bark with a lot of soil like debris mixed in. I repot right away.

Hi Christian,

I'm pretty sure that OrchidTN, like many other ebayers including Thanh, are purchasing wholesale from places like Pine Ridge Orchids, Krull Smith, and OZ and are re-selling, so that the mix you are getting probably originated with the previous grower and not OrchidTN. I too tend to repot most things upon arrival.

Yep, I have my media waiting their (orchids) arrival from OrchidTN. But, it is worth the repot. I was in shock the first time I received some phrags from her (what they were potted in)...but the phrags are always big and beautiful with spikes waiting to bloom. Her prices are really good, she does not rip you off with shipping, and I receive the orchids in two days. Plus, I love the 'buy it now' feature...instant gratification.

I have spoken to Kim in the past, and she did tell me that her plants are grown in California. Sometimes the original tags are still in the pot...

I just purchased two paphs from her yesterday!

I found a new ebay vendor that is worth checking out, Kalach19. I bid and won a large division of phrag. M. Dick Clements. The phrag was beautiful! Katrina ships her babies with TLC, and they arrive quickly. Her starting bids and buy-it-now prices are very reasonable, along with shipping.

I know the three plants I got from Orchidtn were from Oak Hill Gardens. I recognized the labels and pots (yes, even the pots were recognizable LOL). I wanted a Paph. Black Diamond from Oak Hill. I called them up and they were sold out. About 6 months later Orchidtn has them on ebay...... well, I got my Black Diamond from Oak Hill in the end. Didn't bother me where I got it from and there wasn't a huge price increase either.

Similar experience with the other two paphs I got from Orchidtn.

Christian

BTW Heather -- the PEOY I got from you last year (roth. Noyo X sand Candor) or so is looking really really really good. It is a sloooow grower in comparison to the other PEOYs I have but it looks the best. The leaves are so thick. I am hoping for it to bud up in the next two years.

Hey Christian - glad to hear it. I think some of the older crosses just grow interminably slow. I finally gave my other one away, I don't think it's ever going to bloom with the elder parents it has, and a geranium fell on it. Oops.
That's the kiss of death.

I'm actually loving my small collection again though. And it's a good thing it is small, cause after seeing 'Sicko' tonight, I'm thinking about leaving the country. :rolleyes:

I have bought off of ebay from some of the named sellers in this thread. My only thought after having done that is not knowing if it's their culls. If your trying to build a nice collection and you buy previously bloomed, couldn't you be buying plants with poorly formed blooms? I know several will show the plant in bloom or pictures of it's previous blooming, but when they say you will receive one similar to picture..I get a little nervous. I bought several from a vendor 2 yrs. ago and he's no longer a registered seller. Needless to say I lost a few of that purchase. I don't remember his score but his name was 'JTerris' and another that sends plants to young is 'ergdove'. She is taking them from flask and planting in compot then auctioning them without them establishing. Another good seller not mentioned is 'banjojohnboy'. I believe he is buying closeouts from small growers and then reselling. I purchased one that had the orchid growers tag still with their phone # and I called it to ask a question. The number had been disconnected. Overall my experience has been good but I definitely watch scores and feedback.

worst ever ebay seller

Worst ever was orchids by god........... horrible little seedlings much smaller than advertised. Bonus was snails in crumbly potting mix. Contacted seller who denied anything was wrong. Finally got a partial refund. Seedlings soon died. Others have had similar bad experiences.

Latest posts

Back