When insomnia hits!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

L I Jane

Some times when I can't sleep my mind thinks of all sorts of things.Here's the latest .
I was thinking of Heather's comment on see-through pots for paphs etc. how she loves being able to check out root systems on her plants.
Has anyone ever done a test on the non-see through types vs the clear pots? I've noticed that the dark pots when a paph is growing well & mix is still viable, the roots wind all around inside the pot clinging to the outside edge etc.Now I've used clear pots but haven't had this occur as yet since this method with clear pots is relatively new to me ( 1 yr or so).Why do you suppose the roots do this in a dark pot--reaching for light?If so wouldn't they do the same thing go for the outer sides of the pot on a clear pot or is it too much light?(I haven't noticed the roots adhering on the outer edges of mine).After all in nature their roots are kept rather dark aren't they?I'm talking about paphs. :confused: :confused:
Can hardly wait for the next sleepless night to see what the subject will be!:rollhappy:

first off, I wish my sleepless nights were so productive. (sudoku is a real time sink.)

hmmm.... I think my clear pot paphs do wind their roots around the insides of the pot. My dark pot paphs do not, because I don't water them anywhere near enough - not entertaining as I don't get to watch their roots. :p

I always assumed that they did this wrapping business because they try to let their roots spread, but then they hit the barrier and have no where else to go.... ("always" being a relatively short period of time - haven't been growing paphs for long). Catts would do the same except they're happy to have roots grow in the air...?

See the exact opposite--so far no wrapping (at least not yet) in the clear pots but the dark pots are a different story.My phrag plants often distort the pots they are in with their tremendous roots but they are all in dark pots sitting in water saucers--nothing in clear pots only 1 & I can't see any roots so I can't comment.):)

All I use is clear pots. Everything that gets potted gets a clear one. Some of my paphs are starting to wrap around the pots. I love checking the roots (okay that sounded pathethic) and I get to do it without distrubing the plant at all. Using clear pots has been a real blessing for my culture. It is also sooo much easier to see what needs to be watered.

I also fell (no proof yet) that the roots enjoy the sun light. My catts have crazy amounts of roots all pointed the the sun and when aomw grow to the bottom of the pot they do a U-turn and grow up the side.

Clay has its advantages but to me clear plastic out weighs anything. Just my two cents.

Christian

My paphs are in clear pots, and theyhave been in them for about a year (ever since I read that thread where Heather praised them, so I decided to put everything in clear pots). I use a mix of CHC, perlite, charcoal and chopped sphagnum mass. My paphs have started to have vigorous root growth and many of them are starting to wrap around the pot.

My phrags, on the other hand, have so many roots wrapping around the clear pots that I can barely even see the media. All I see are new root tips against a backdrop of root mass.

Excellent !!!!So everybody seems to have good luck with the clear pots with paphs.Mine are doing very well & it is a pleasure to be able to see the roots & know when they need water & how they are progressing.Thanks all for your input --& now for the next sleepless nite for my next thing that puzzles me! :D

Latest posts

Back