Wheeeeeeeee!!! It's Monkey Girl.

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where are all the trees?! Do you live in a part of Cali that used to be desert?

To the left of this g.h. is a small orchard with like 10 fruit trees. Most of the trees we have in the year produce something. Though we have some palm trees too. No, it's not a desert. It just feels that way sometimes during the heatwaves we get in the summer.

And what appear to be bushes around the g.h. are in fact dwarf citrus- a grapefruit, blood orange, and 2 varieties of oranges. In the bottom photo you can see the peach tree that's lost most of it's leaves to the left of the g.h. So yeah, we have trees.

I can see myself up there. :D I can envision myself falling too! :rollhappy:

Ouch! :mad:

Congrats on the new digs for your plants! :)

It's just that it looks like you live in a suburban location and here in the N.E. anytime you go outside the City the houses are in the trees. :confused: It looks like you live in a tract that was reclaimed for housing, ie, irrigation required..
To the left of this g.h. is a small orchard with like 10 fruit trees. Most of the trees we have in the year produce something. Though we have some palm trees too. No, it's not a desert. It just feels that way sometimes during the heatwaves we get in the summer.

And what appear to be bushes around the g.h. are in fact dwarf citrus- a grapefruit, blood orange, and 2 varieties of oranges. In the bottom photo you can see the peach tree that's lost most of it's leaves to the left of the g.h. So yeah, we have trees.

Most of the CA Central Valley was or has been agricultural land at one time or another. Much of what's undeveloped is grasslands or still ag. land with occasional Valley Oaks. But you don't start seeing a lot of other native trees until you start going into the Sierras. There are drought resistant native plants, but yes, for non-natives to survive and thrive they usually need to be irrigated. We have extensive irrigation in our front and back yard. Along with drainage and amended soil. This area is known for its clay soil. Of course we only really need to water in the Spring and Summer.

Of course, you only need to move somewhere where there isn't drought, brushfires, landslides and just for fun the occasional earthquake! :poke:

No landslides here since it's so flat, but yesterday was in the 70's. Can't beat that for mid November!

There is a local cactus society. I think they do great here, but need amended soil. I think clay would rot them out. The Sacramento area has plenty of water, it's our southern neighbors that are in need.

Think "Mediterranean" climate like parts of Italy, Greece and France. Not very many forrests here but we have many scrub trees and bushes, and land for crops like vineyards, citrus etc. It's quite different than a desert like Las Vegas, Arizona etc.

You Lie!! Oh sorry, I was having a Joe Wilson moment! :p I'm glad you're happy w/ your move; I will send you a box of snow for winter!
Actually, there were only a couple days this last summer that were hotter than what we experienced in MA during the summer, and with no humidity, they seemed cooler somewhat!

There is a local cactus society. I think they do great here, but need amended soil. I think clay would rot them out. The Sacramento area has plenty of water, it's our southern neighbors that are in need.

YES PLEASE SEND WATER.........:drool:

Latest posts

Back