What's your monthly heating bill now?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You'd think with our climate my heating costs would be really low. But we've had 2-3 weeks of frost and 30 degree weather. That's very unusual for us. Yeah, I know those in the snow are hearing the miniature violins playing... But, I didn't expect the propane to be running like water:< I will have to look into some cost cutting for next winter. I'm sure actually filling up the g.h. more will help.

I gagged when I opened the last PG&E bill ... $402 total (house+GH). I'm only guessing at the split but based on previous years I'd have to say the GH was $150 of that. We live in the foothills east of the Central Valley at about 1500 feet so it's always pretty cold in the winter, but as Candace pointed out it's different this year. I've gotta switch over to a natural gas heater ... the electric heater's eating me alive!

for Minn. and the size of your greenhouse.

I'm reasonably satisfied. I put a lot of money up front to reduce costs:
1. In floor off peak electric heat
2. 25mm triple wall polycarbonate
3. North wall a solid wall with foam insulation (R20)
4. Other three walls insullated the same up to 4ft.
5. partially built into hillside (although I would have liked it deeper)
All the custom design raised costs as opposed to a kit, but I think it was worth it. We will see if I have any major design flaws as the years pass.

Ross, this insulation that you use...do you keep it on in the summers as well and does it also help keep the heat out? I'm thinking something like this along my block, kneewalls might help. I figure, right now it's costing me $10 a day right now for g.h. #2 . Which is crazy, ridiculous for Central/northern CA. I'm going to have to come up with something for next season. My husband is not thrilled with an electric heater back up or supplement.

I gagged when I opened the last PG&E bill ... $402 total (house+GH). I'm only guessing at the split but based on previous years I'd have to say the GH was $150 of that. We live in the foothills east of the Central Valley at about 1500 feet so it's always pretty cold in the winter, but as Candace pointed out it's different this year. I've gotta switch over to a natural gas heater ... the electric heater's eating me alive!

This month will cost me $300, and that's just for g.h. #2....g.h. #1 is on natural gas and is tied into our monthly bill, so it's kind of hard to tell what the real cost of g.h. #1 is. Nuts isn't it???

Ross, this insulation that you use...do you keep it on in the summers as well and does it also help keep the heat out? I'm thinking something like this along my block, kneewalls might help. I figure, right now it's costing me $10 a day right now for g.h. #2 . Which is crazy, ridiculous for Central/northern CA. I'm going to have to come up with something for next season. My husband is not thrilled with an electric heater back up or supplement.

The north wall and the first four feet of the other three walls are solid, with sprayed insulating foam between the studs. See below

39Insulation.jpg

41NorthWall.jpg

This month will cost me $300, and that's just for g.h. #2....g.h. #1 is on natural gas and is tied into our monthly bill, so it's kind of hard to tell what the real cost of g.h. #1 is. Nuts isn't it???

That hurts ... and fast! I know switching to NG will significantly cut my winter heating costs but the work & expense involved in extending gas piping out to the GH is not something I'm ready for just yet. What I really need is to grow a higher value crop ... :evil:

This is California, after all ...

I went through the work of trenching and running NG to g.h. #1. But, g.h. #2 is like 50 ft. away and we have some rock wall garden beds that would have to be destroyed-ain't going to happen. And my kit came with a propane heater that is a $1,000 heater...so, I have to find some other cost saving alternatives. Yeah, the other crop thing wouldn't work for me. I've had police visit once already and I get enough helicopter flybys to make me stay on the straight and narrow:>

Yeah, the other crop thing wouldn't work for me. I've had police visit once already and I get enough helicopter flybys to make me stay on the straight and narrow:>

around here people try to hide pot plants in other people's corn fields :) my uncle was telling me a few years ago the state police were flying over the fields he leases out to some farmers after they had a tip a known druggie had something in there and sure enough, they found some plants in there. my cousin's little son was having a ball telling everyone that the police 'found pot in grampa's cornfield' :rollhappy:

around here people try to hide pot plants in other people's corn fields :) my uncle was telling me a few years ago the state police were flying over the fields he leases out to some farmers after they had a tip a known druggie had something in there and sure enough, they found some plants in there. my cousin's little son was having a ball telling everyone that the police 'found pot in grampa's cornfield' :rollhappy:

It's amazing what people will do. Lots of folks plant them in N CA. forests and deep in public parks too. Crazy. We're socketed by fog here this morning and it's another week of 30 degree morning temps. I can here my gas drizzling away again.

I'm going to investigate that clear bubble wrap insulation and see if that's cost effective.

Latest posts

Back