What's your favorite orchid?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So hard to nominate a favourite, but I am very fond of my Dendrobium chrysopterum at the moment. It's only a small plant and flowered for the first time last year with flowers from 2 nodes on a very short growth. This year there will be about 8 bunches on a longer growth. It's such a stunning thing with its vivid large yellow and orange flowers and I'm very excited about it.

I love Dendrobium victoria-reginae too, and Dendrobium bigibbum. And the fragrant angraecoids. And all the Brachy and Parvi paphs. And Cymbidium devonianum. And Phrag. caudatum. And Phrag. besseae. And Laelia purpurata. And Paph. sanderianum.

I think I'd better stop there. :eek:

I also have many favorites (and can't just pick one).

Some of my favorite species :
Angraecum sesquipedale
Disa uniflora
Masdevallia veitchiana
Phalaenopsis bellina
Vanda coerulea
Neofinetia falcata
Cattleya (Laelia) purpurata
Phrag. popowii
Phrag. kovachii
Phrag. besseae
Paph. armeniacum
Paph. stonei
Paph. rothschildianum
Paph. leuchochilum

When it comes to hybrids: all of my hybrids that I created (how can you say one of your children is your favorite).

Robert

Shoot, my favorite is whatever I can get to rebloom with some regularity. I'm not telling at this point because the regularity factor is in question.

I have to stick with the ones that I have grown or seen (species):

Paph rothschildianum
Miltoniopsis vexillaria
Masdevallia veitchiana
Odontoglossum crispum
Vanda coerulea
Phrag besseae
Phrag caudatum
Sophronitis coccinea
Lycaste skinneri
Paph hookerae
Disa uniflora
Dracula vampira
Rossioglossum grande

of course, there are many, many more wonderful species and tons of nice hybrids.........but that would take a book........

I have to stick with the ones that I have grown or seen (species):

Paph rothschildianum
Miltoniopsis vexillaria
Masdevallia veitchiana
Odontoglossum crispum
Vanda coerulea
Phrag besseae
Phrag caudatum
Sophronitis coccinea
Lycaste skinneri
Paph hookerae
Disa uniflora
Dracula vampira
Rossioglossum grande

of course, there are many, many more wonderful species and tons of nice hybrids.........but that would take a book........

I think you and I must have similar tastes! There are ones on your list (that are not on my list) that I was thinking of as well!

Robert

Yes, we do have similar tastes in orchids, but this was a pretty easy list as these are some of the most striking plants. Also, several are cooler growers and being in a cooler climate give us an advantage in growing them.

Latest posts

Back