What's wrong? Or, Why won't my ping. bloom?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They are called Pinguicula, common name is Butterwort. The one pictured is most likely a Mexican hybrid or species.
These bloom when triggered by light and temperature. I don't think heat is the problem as they can stand quite cool temperatures. Most bloom either in the spring or fall. Some bloom when in full leaf, others bloom when they are in the winter succulent stage.
They often do not bloom if you have them indoors with the same light period. The shortening days will trigger them to bloom.
You can check my website below for many photos of Pinguicula plants and flowers.
Peter.

I like pinguicula a lot, and collect many different types... I have to grow them with my paphs. Before it was under controlled conditions of temps, never below 21°C. The plants would look like Heather plant after a while, then bloom, and make many new growths.

I found out that first they like fertilizer at the roots ( I use osmocote for them), then they do not like to dry out that much when they are growing. I never had to trigger the bloom, with the temperatures and the fertilizer, they would bloom at any time. Do not forget to add lime to the mix as well.

But eventually they would end up looking like lettuce, with many, many growths that had to be divided. They were blooming at pretty much any time, but the plants would be extremely tall with very big leaves.

By the way, you can remove leaves up to their base and put them in a plastic bag with peat or sphagnum, damp. After a couple of weeks you will have many young plants, very fast growing.

Now, in Viet Nam, they have to whitstand a cool growing season and varying daylenght, I keep them on the dry side with the pleione maculata and praecox, so slightly moist but never wet at that time and they do not make the multiple head plants like before. I still keep the osmocote in the mix. The beauty of those plants is to get perfect rosettes.

I like pinguicula a lot, and collect many different types... I have to grow them with my paphs. Before it was under controlled conditions of temps, never below 21°C. The plants would look like Heather plant after a while, then bloom, and make many new growths.

I found out that first they like fertilizer at the roots ( I use osmocote for them), then they do not like to dry out that much when they are growing. I never had to trigger the bloom, with the temperatures and the fertilizer, they would bloom at any time. Do not forget to add lime to the mix as well.

But eventually they would end up looking like lettuce, with many, many growths that had to be divided. They were blooming at pretty much any time, but the plants would be extremely tall with very big leaves.

By the way, you can remove leaves up to their base and put them in a plastic bag with peat or sphagnum, damp. After a couple of weeks you will have many young plants, very fast growing.

Now, in Viet Nam, they have to whitstand a cool growing season and varying daylenght, I keep them on the dry side with the pleione maculata and praecox, so slightly moist but never wet at that time and they do not make the multiple head plants like before. I still keep the osmocote in the mix. The beauty of those plants is to get perfect rosettes.

Interesting! I'd say that's pretty much how I grow it. It hasn't gotten "leggy" and it is in sphag, I haven't fertilized.

I wonder if my lack of nutritional support in the colder months (no gnats!) is contributing to the problem....I've had some new sports come off but never have done anything about them really and so they've sort of, um, languished.

I will admit I don't pay a ton of attention to this plant. It's a use, not a hobby.

I was going to ask for a picture of Heather's ping when it's in flower but I'm too scared now:rollhappy:

Latest posts

Back