Whats up with Ten Shin?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you notice that because they are offering a 10% discount for pre-orders that all the prices have been raised on the price list. That sort of upset me. That being said I pre-ordered some seedlings from them and picked them up at Parkside in, I think it was July. One has bloomed, one is in spike and the smallest one maybe dying but is putting up a flower. All of them are doing fine except for the one. Don't bother buying the A size as you are just wasting your money. I bought b,c, and one d size. On the side of this desk I even have a tentative order but don't think I'm ready spend that much money. Donna is great about orchids, however when I handed over the very large amount of cash to them at Parkside, she did give me the evil eye. We both felt much better about it once I had them home and potted up. They didn't look like too much when they were bare rooted.

Is this a grower that will ship plants to you once the get them into the US when the grower comes for a show? Sorry I'm a newbie.....
NYEric would you mind sending me the list too?

Is this a grower that will ship plants to you once the get them into the US when the grower comes for a show? Sorry I'm a newbie.....

Yes, that is the deal, but beware they are small. They almost are at the smallest size in the range. Lets say, it says 7 to 12 c.m, don't be surprised if they are 5 c.m. leaf spans. Just know that going in because they do have plants not often seen here, and the price will reflect that. My last order cost over $600 which is easy to spend with them. Last order, all of the plants had good roots. He left a couple of plants home saying they weren't good enough to put in my order. True or not who knows, maybe they learned their lesson maybe my order was just incomplete.

Bob, You are addicted. Go to a AOS meeting in Cali like I did and you will be cured.

PM me your email address. I have the flask list an s may be able to dig up the seedling list from a couple years ago. They will be in the NE USA January 15. Do not order the smallest size stuff!

I have never had any issues with hid plants.
Living things can go wrong fast for variety of reasons. The way I see it, plants that are in good conditions at the time of purchase is what you pay for.
Some plants might be genetically weak or fail to adapt to a different frirkn conditions, but I don't see these as vendor's responsibility.

I asked for him to replace 2 plants that were very weak with almost no roots when I received them. I would never complain about a plant that dies under my care if I received it in perfect condition.

I don't think any vendor would agree to replace any plant under that situation.

Bigger ones are usually safer I would think as well.
Plus, Matt has a great price for plants, so why not get the bigger ones so one might see flowers sooner? :)

I'm not going to the show next week. Part of me says, just go and have a look, but I know I will buy a bunch of stuff. I am in the process of sorting things out again, but even if I dump out 20 plants, it makes no difference.
That's how bad it is. hahaha

I bought a bunch of plants from Matt at our show (including a pre-order). Paphs, phals, angraecums…the phal tetraspis 'C1' I received is absolutely gorgeous. Every leaf is naturally glossy without a single blemish! Not a mushy root tip to be found and several root nubbins emerging. I'd say it's the nicest looking plant I've ever bought. I made sure to tell him so.

I did get all blooming size plants though, so I understand that this will certainly make a difference in their vitality when shipped. All the plants I received were in excellent condition. Had only to trim some roots and as previously stated, some I didn't have to trim any.

He did mention they'd had snow for the first(?) time and that had caused some issues with his plants, but I was extremely happy with my picks. Only one in my pre-order was missing due to the cold snap. A phal pantherina, which he said he'd bring in the fall when he's back.

He was great to deal with too. Friendly and willing to chat about his plants. (Sheesh! You'd think I was getting paid.) ;)

My experience with ten shin is 2 A size plants, 1st plant $45.00 s gratrix x hangianum, growing new roots. 2nd plant $15.00 hung sheng eagle x sandy not going to make it, everything else great, 2014 bought leucochilum B size from table sales soon gonna bloom

Latest posts

Back