what's in a name...

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

bench72

Hi y'all,

I was wondering if someone could confirm the following name...

Paph (concolor x leucochilum) x rothschildianum

is this the same as

Paph welleslyanum x rothschildianum

assuming that leucochilum is actually a variety of godefroyae...

which then means that the plants are called

Paph Louise Jernigan?

photo link courtesy of Clouds Orchids website

oh and while we're at it... anyone have any experience with these beauties?

Thanks
tim

You win. Except — and I hesitate to mention this because it is *really* nitpicky — since Paph. Wellesleyanum is a hybrid, it gets a capital "W".

Must agree, when you put the 'W' in Wellesleyanum in lower case, that suggests it is a species... an 'x' in front of a lowercase name signifies that the epithet is of a natural hybrid... Wellesleyanum is an older artificial cross, before the Nomenclatural Laws stated that the grex name cannot be derived from latin or greek...

Otherwise, you are right, but make sure to capitalize what needs it! =)

-Pat

thanks pat, mico... will remember to capitalise where required...

so, just to clarify:-

1. leucochilum is not a valid species, but merely a variety of godefroyae, yes?

also, I've somehow managed to end up with a flaskful of this... so, is this going to be like a Rolfei and bloom in twenty years time???

bench72 said:
so, just to clarify:-

1. leucochilum is not a valid species, but merely a variety of godefroyae, yes?

also, I've somehow managed to end up with a flaskful of this... so, is this going to be like a Rolfei and bloom in twenty years time???
That is my understanding. But the plants should bloom when they are quite small -- much less than 20 years.

Ha! 20 years is right!! I don't think anything takes longer than Paph. Rolfei to bloom out of flask. I just bloomed one for the first time that I got in flask from Norris Powell in 1986. I was very proud of it, but I realize the entire batch will be insignificant when the next generation of Paph. rothschildianum hybrids coming from the new "super roths" begin to bloom.

My experience is that Paph. godefroyae and its variants bloom about 4-5 years out of the bottle, but a few precocious individuals may bloom sooner at a very small size. Be sure to keep track of the varietal names of the parents of your flasklings - it will be of interest when the seedlings begin to bloom.

One significant thing about Paph. godefroyae v. leucochilum is that there has been a lot of line breeding done to increase size, shape and color - much more than has been done with the basic Paph. godefroyae. Unfortunately, for some strange reason, the AOS awards system hasn't been very tidy about differentiating the two when reporting statistics on awarded cultivars. Many of the AOS awards granted to newer line-bred Paph. godefroyae v. leucochilum are merely designated as Paph. godefroyae.

Latest posts

Back