What's fer dinner?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wife is a Mexican food lover, and since we live in Japan, the only way to get any of reasonable quality is to make it yourself. Yesterday’s lunch was tostados - nothing special, just toasted corn tortillas topped with shredded chicken spiced with oregano, guacamole, salsa fresca, cheddar, taco sauce and lettuce. I also made some ground beef seasoned with taco seasoning for making a more taco-like tostado. Everything was made from scratch except the taco sauce (due to pure laziness!) and the tortillas.

TostadaTsukuSM_zps07iarxpp.jpg

TostadaSm_zpsmuhngiwf.jpg

My wife was happy!

My wife is a Mexican food lover, and since we live in Japan, the only way to get any of reasonable quality is to make it yourself. Yesterday’s lunch was tostados - nothing special, just toasted corn tortillas topped with shredded chicken spiced with oregano, guacamole, salsa fresca, cheddar, taco sauce and lettuce. I also made some ground beef seasoned with taco seasoning for making a more taco-like tostado. Everything was made from scratch except the taco sauce (due to pure laziness!) and the tortillas.

TostadaTsukuSM_zps07iarxpp.jpg

TostadaSm_zpsmuhngiwf.jpg

My wife was happy!

Your wife isn't lactose intolerant?

Your wife isn't lactose intolerant?

Of the 2 of us, I am more lactose intolerant. She is very sensitive to hot foods though, so I have to tone down the salsa. The other thing is we don't eat large quantities of anything - this is Japan after all. That spread was shared between her and me, and later her mom and brother.

Charles, what is that? It looks like a metallic waffle! :rollhappy:

Blue corn posole

a3535ce39206bb45ecf24c684e43be74.jpg

For lunch actually. I treated the blue corn I brought back from new mexico, grew roasted and froze my own anaheim type green chile peppers, included a meaty ham bone, ham stock, white sweet corn onion celery carrots and recaito sauce
Mmmmmmmmm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9dc4603c8e4ada3ba2c502974db26a39.jpg

Chicken thighs marinated two days in lupo's spiedie sauce mmmmmmmm
The smell must be distracting my neighbors as I'm ready to inhale these that just came out of the convection oven!

Brined pulled pork mmmmmmmm!

This recipe http://www.kevinandamanda.com/perfect-pulled-pork-slow-roasted-seasoned-savory/
which brines a pork shoulder roast, applies a dry rub then roasts in oven at 225F for 1.5 hours per pound.
I'd already purchased a 'small' loin roast instead of shoulder, has less fat, recipe calls for thick fat on top as it roasts; the loin roast didn't have this so put some bacon on top to 'fatify ' it :)

bae7c936ee52b06fe7a274da2b7bc8cd.jpg
The roast after 36 hrs brining

9d78a4af91e4627beddad76af21f79aa.jpg
The dry rub

705ca2d093bef949440749a681fe6180.jpg
The rubbed and baconated roast; stay tuned for results!

Sounds good! It took far longer to get meat to 200 and 'pull apart' consistency, it was around 1:30am when I shut off the oven. It still didn't quite reach 200 and this morning when trying to pull it apart it resisted a bit. I think my oven dial is a little off at low temp. A shoulder roast would have been moister. Tonight I'll eat!

7a4c40e7c379ed7c1ab37b1797499862.jpg

6460482c81fe0ff4ba092e06df1097e6.jpg

Last edited:
cf18a6f55b63b4b5120c393ee3e19142.jpg
Homemade wings for the game!
But no blue cheese; local store supposed to close at 8pm, at 7 the doors were locked, no outdoor notice posted! (Crazy eagles fans)

That looks magnificent Berthold. I usually use my home made beef stock for stews and the like, so I use a lot of sawed femur bones to add marrow which makes it cloudy, and I only rarely separate it from there to get a clear broth even though the result is wonderful. Love the look of yours. Perfect.

Also, extra applause for the Meissen Blue Onion bowl!

Back