What's fer dinner?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where does one get venison sausage? (Or is his a euphamism for roadkill? If so, I can get it readily off the highway)

Either someone has to give you some or have to get hunting training, find hunting implement, buy permits clothing and various etc and go out in woods or backyard, acquire the animal, clean it out and drag to place and hang then cut up, grind some meat and add sausage flavors or take the cleaned deer to a butcher who cuts deer. Sometimes if you hit a deer a responding officer may ask if you want it, think they give you permit. Then either you take it butcher or deal with it yourself and have sausage ingredients mixed with the ground meat

All that aside, not sure you can buy/sell wild game meat or maybe just deer in ny. But if you have or take meat to a butcher that handles deer they often will have option to prepare part or all of your meat as ground or sausage. There might be some place online where you can find farm raised deer that's been prepared as sausage. It helps to find someone who hunts a lot and gives away some to family or friends. Sometimes farms and orchards will have acquired deer nuisance permits and sometimes the people who clear out excess may give some away

& - checked online, there is one farm in Colorado who sells whitetail deer and is legal, but you'd have to check your state to see if it was legal to have it shipped there. Exotic animals from other countries I believe can be bought/sold since it's not native so you can buy things online or other stores if you can track it down. Technically, wild animals in a state are 'owned' and regulated by that state. Feral animals I think have no protection?

Thought I'd revive this thread. Last Sunday the wife and I had a real American style BBQ. Here's the steaks and mushrooms on the grill:

SteaksampShrooms_zpsplgmj0ib.jpg

And the full spread - marinated and grilled mushrooms, garlic cloves, and cherry tomatoes, sliced cucumbers, ribeye steaks, and asparagus steamed in butter and salt. During the grilling process we also had grilled shrimp, scallops, and squid. And yes, I drank a lot of beer.

Dinner_zpsfktz8frq.jpg

It was a delicious meal. Not shown here was dessert - vanilla ice cream with blackberry sauce (from my own plants) and shaved chocolate.

Dinner again. This time grilled eggplant and goat cheese salad with lots of basil, toasted pecans, olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Also, grilled squid (marinated in lemon/olive oil/various spices), pork and onion (marinated in olive oil/vinegar/oregano), and chicken drumettes (marinated in vinegar/honey/tomato/garlic).

Dinner730_zpsc8wuc6nt.jpg

For dessert I made a fresh cherry and cream cheese cobbler. If you'd like the eggplant and goat cheese recipe, check out this link:

Eggplant and Goat Cheese Salad

Dinner again. This time grilled eggplant and goat cheese salad with lots of basil, toasted pecans, olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Also, grilled squid (marinated in lemon/olive oil/various spices), pork and onion (marinated in olive oil/vinegar/oregano), and chicken drumettes (marinated in vinegar/honey/tomato/garlic).

Dinner730_zpsc8wuc6nt.jpg

For dessert I made a fresh cherry and cream cheese cobbler. If you'd like the eggplant and goat cheese recipe, check out this link:

Eggplant and Goat Cheese Salad

Did you use Italian or Japanese eggplant?

Tom, how do you not weigh 300 lbs. eating all that food???? The goat cheese salad looks wonderful.

My wife and I don't eat all of it at once. For instance half of that salad we gave to my wife's mom, along with about 1/3 of the grilled meat. I also don't have a car, so the only means for me to get around is by bicycle (I don't like trains and hate buses). I probably ride around 70 miles a week just to get to work and run errands, and recreationally I do another 30 at least and that is mostly up mountain roads.

I had Thanksgiving dinner with vegetarians and didn't miss
the big dead bird sitting on the table at all. I'm not a
vegetarian and thought I might miss it. I'm rather glad
I didn't.

Do you make the pie crust and everything on your own?
That is the least fun part for me. Maybe it's the consistency of the crumbs and butter, but they easily break apart & off, or won't stick to the mold.

I gave up long ago. I bake cakes and others instead. lol

I buy pillsbury refrigerated pie crusts, and use the saved crust making time to come up with unusual combinations of ingredients. Counter space is at a minimum especially at my mothers place. When more space some time may try making own and freezing ahead

This pie I took frozen cranberries and xylitol, microwaved for a while. Added lots of dried sweetened cranberries and cran Pom juice and mic ed some more. Put on bottom of pie crust as layer. Added apples, then layer of frozen raspberries on top. Sprinkled top crust with cinnamon sugar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This was a lightning trip; I had to go to utica for a memorial service, and grabbed some things before heading back down into the slop. I didn't have a chance to pick up some spiedie sandwiches because had to avoid the worst weather around binghamton and pa. , took nys thruway back. Wasn't really over by ithaca to pick anything up
That said, i could have brought some riggies back with me, and should have gotten some to put in the freezer. That was a fumble :) I ate half that container at first shot, was very good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back