What would the Paph Goddess Do?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heather

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sacramento, CA. Outside w/ Southeast Exposure
Well, I'll settle for your opinions. ;)

I just removed the lowest leaf on my lowii which had become infected w/ Erwinia (is it me, or are lowii prone to rot??) between yesterday at 4PM and today at 4PM. I didn't even water it yesterday, but I did move the plant into a place where it was getting more direct air from an above fan, and my lights were on all night (you'd think that would dry things out but apparently no).

When I removed the leaf, I noticed a new fatty root growing which likely was causing it to die off, and I imagine the change in conditions just helped it along. I would like to cinnamon the area of next lower leaf. It is a darker color but isn't rot. However, I don't want to kill the nice new root by drying it out with cinnamon.

I have listerine and I have neosporin, but I've not used either before. And cinnamon of course.

What should I use to disinfect so I don't kill the root but I make sure the next leaf won't succumb?

hmmmm. what would Brian Boitano do????

PHYTON FRIGGIN 27 WOMAN!!!! I've told you a million times!!!!

Heather, you could try using the Phtyon without opening the bottle, but it will probably be much easier if you do. :poke:

I think the Listerine and Neosporin may injure the new root. Listerine because of the alcohol and if the Neosporin is a creme it may contain an oil base.
The cinnamon would be the best choice of the three but it may cause the root to dessicate.

I have recently been experimenting with a natural product we sell at ShopGoneWild.
Dragon's Blood is used by indigenous people in Peru as a treatment for infections and many many other human ailments. It works on people and it seems to work on bacterial infections on plants also. I'll find some pictures of the test's I've done on plants and post them.

I've seen this a lot on my Phrags. I use hydrogen peroxide in a spray with a fine mist and have had no problems with the new growths.

In order to prevent more incidents of Erwinia on your lowii, remember that lowii is an epiphyte and therefore it must have very good quality water and a very open, airy mix that also retains ample moisture. Water that is good for most other paphs is not good enough for lowii, haynaldianum or parishii. They are fussy that way. They hate any mineral salts in their water and especially any salts buildup in the mix. Drying it out only concentrates the salts into something more toxic and running the lights all night is adding even more stress to the plant, further reducing its' ability to fight off disease. Imagine having an infection and your immune system is trying to fight it off; but, you're forced to stay awake all day, all night and all day again! You're gonna feel like CRAP and probably keep getting worse until you are able to get the rest (sleep; down-time) that you need.

Use gallons and gallons of fresh, clean, naturally soft water (rain water, or R.O. water) and flush the mix over and over and over. Be warned though, it's hard to stop the tendencey for a plant to rot, once it's started. The trick is to never let it get to the point of toxic salts stress, such that the plant is weakened enough to allow opportunistic bacteria like Erwinia to even get started.

If it were my plant, I'd unpot it and use a coarse spray to "scrub" all the old potting mix and any soft, rotted tissue away; but, be gentle around tender new root tips. Then, I'd dust it with sulfer or cinnamon and repot it in fresh mix. From then on, I'd use only very pure water and flush the pot well each time that I water. Even when using rain water, salts will build up if you don't flush the pots well at each watering. When you feed these species, go light on the fertilizer concentration too; at least until well established and multigrowth. Then, maybe use the same concentration as your other Paphs; but, still keep up the practice of using lots of high quality water inbetween feedings. Good luck!

I'd clean it off, then leave it alone. I think the chemicals cause more damage, and cinnamon just seems to dry things out. When I find a rot that is restricted to a single leaf, complete removal is all that ever seems to be necessary. And yes, lowii does seem more prone to problems than other multiflorals...Take care, Eric

Just Thanks

I always learn something new from the site. Where can I find pictures of Erwinia damage? I expecially liked John M analogy about the body- I am back in the hospital from chemo pneumonia and develpoed a nasty little bug because of no immunity, Be assured that rest is important to heal and grow whether you are a Paph, Phrag or Patrix- I wish a little cinamon and H202 would do the trick for me but am on the mend.

The worst part is that the weather has been beatutiful and all of the orchids this site has prompted me to order are arriving. I have my partner unpack them, and try to read me the names ( bad tags he says). Until I can get to them, Slippertalk has kept me connected with my passion-thanks.

Heather I hope their suggestions work well for your baby

First off, Patrix, TAKE CARE! Anything we can do to help around here, you just name it.

Secondly, John M., I think you've got it. My lights are on screwy timers and I was away overnight. Last night they went off and came on as they should, so it is possible they did the night before also. I was assuming they were on all night because I've been having trouble.

However, I have NOT been flushing as much as I should and water may very well be the issue here w/ my lowii. I will follow your suggestions today and flush with lots of distilled water.

I am always reticent to use the big guns unless absolutely necessary...

Thanks all!

sounds kinda like it's necessary?
i'm in the same boat as you. i ain't got no problems with pesticides but fungicide freak me out....
anyone know how long phyton will last? five years? ten years? longer?

patrix said:
I always learn something new from the site. Where can I find pictures of Erwinia damage? I expecially liked John M analogy about the body- I am back in the hospital from chemo pneumonia and develpoed a nasty little bug because of no immunity, Be assured that rest is important to heal and grow whether you are a Paph, Phrag or Patrix- I wish a little cinamon and H202 would do the trick for me but am on the mend.

Patrix, Your wish can come true in a sense. I have personal experience with some of the South American plants used in natural medicine practices. Please read the following manuscripts:
Vilcacora1
Vilcacora2
Vilcacora is the Quechua name for the Cat's Claw vine. It is also called Una de Gato in Spanish. Despite the manuscript titles they are not about religion. The herb is being used successfully in Europe to reduce problems caused by Chemo treatments among many other things.

I wish you the best of health and a speedy recovery.

you're wasting your time with these "natural" remedies. Its all crap, use something thats been PROVEN to work!!!

Latest posts

Back