What type of T5 bulbs do you use?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silence882

Horse whisperer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have had a T5 fixture over my orchids for about 10 months now. It seems to be working alright, but I'm thinking about switching the bulbs. I am using the bulbs that came which the fixture which are Agrobrite 54W High Output with a color temp of 6400K.

Has anyone tried out other bulbs that have worked well or not so well?

--Stephen

I have tried a combo of 3000K and 6500K before but I find all-6500K works best. Also I have reduced light intensity from about 900-1000FC to about 400-600FC. Plants are looking better.

What is the length of the fixture and how many bulbs? What is the distance to the top of the leaves?

I use the Plantmax 2 bulb 2FT T5 with 6400K bulbs. I have used 3000K but I do not think they are necessary or provide any noticeable benefits. They are positioned at a distance of 14 to 1" depending on the plant. I think 12" or more is appropriate for most Paphs, some like a little more distance. I do have some troubling slightly toasting certain species like sangii, appletonianum, gigantifolium and a few others, but reducing fertilizer levels seemed to help quite a bit. I have found that Brachy's and Parvi's fair much better than MF's or other sections with these conditions.

I have very good results with Rays LEDs over my paph seedlings as well. (distance of 12") Many of them are in bud for the first time.

I recently ran in to David Bird at the OSOGSL show and sale. He grows in a cave near Kansas City using many HPS lights (rather inventive!). He told me he is in the process of installing many LEDs all over to supplement blue spectrum. He said he would switch over to all LED if only he didn't have to supplement an outside heat source. He was in fact the only grower at the show to receive AOS awards, one on a dendrobium and the other on a Peruflora's Circla Alca.

Thanks for all the advice!

I am currently using 2 4-foot bulbs (of a 4-bulb setup) 18" from the top of the leaves. I may add a third bulb in a while. I had an HID set-up that over-lit the plants and they are still recovering.

I would definitely try the Osram Fluora bulbs if they were available in T5, but they've only got them in T8 as far as I can find.

I guess I will stick with 2 6400K bulbs. Perhaps I will see if I can find a supplemental LED.

--Stephen

I would definitely try the Osram Fluora bulbs if they were available in T5, but they've only got them in T8 as far as I can find.

--Stephen

There are alternatives:

KZ Fiji purple
Aqualine plant grow
ATI purple plus

I think that the aqualine bulbs will be the best because they emit red light at a better wave length around 660nm. I have ordered four bulbs and am currently testing...I will share the results in the other thread.

Excellent! I look forward to seeing your results.

They seem like pretty pricy bulbs, so it will be nice to see some actual data before deciding on whether or not they're worth it.

--Stephen

There are alternatives:

KZ Fiji purple
Aqualine plant grow
ATI purple plus

I think that the aqualine bulbs will be the best because they emit red light at a better wave length around 660nm. I have ordered four bulbs and am currently testing...I will share the results in the other thread.

I decided to try out an Aqualine Plant Grow bulb and received this from UPS:

brokenbulb1Small.jpg

Inside were 2 pieces of a formerly useful item (I only took one out to snap pics so I could get a replacement):
brokenbulb2Small.jpg

Usually UPS is pretty good, but this bulb was very well packed and they still managed to break it. They must have really bent the hell out of the box.

I bought it from Petco and they should be sending me a replacement so this is more of an inconvenience than anything else.

--Stephen

Oh nooo! Sorry to hear that. These bulbs will be pretty good I think. The results look promising so far.

This may or may not be a stupid post, but I'm going to go with it anyway.

What benefit do T5's provide? I've switched over to T8s in the past few years, and what I'm finding is that I have to grow the plants much further away from the bulbs than did with T12s to begin with. In some cases, I've removed bulbs from the fixtures to reduce the amount of light because both my paphs and my phrags were showing signs of getting too much light.

I think they are talking about T5 normal output, not T5HO, which we usually use. With efficiency, the temperature influence the advantage of T5HO vs T8. But for the temperature good for orchids, I thought T8 was more efficient than T5HO. T5 normal output is most efficient, though.

I was probably being too general in using that term.

This page has more stuff:
http://www.lightingtaxdeduction.org/technologies/t5.html

I'd still use the same term, perhaps just not here with us technical folk ;)

I am in the process of switching from T5HO 6500K to T5HO 4000k. I've been using the former for over a year and I have a feeling it is favouring the
vegetative growth excessively. Most of the information suggesting 6500K is
not directed at orchid growers - Please don't ask me to elaborate.

I use the T5HO 6500K for about one year too. The flowering of my Paphs is quite well. I don't see less flowers now. My plants got natural light on my windowsills before.

Quick Update: I've been using one Aquiline bulb along with one 6500K bulb for about a month and my plants look greener and more robust. I am now a believer, despite the price.

I now do not trust my agrobrite 6500K bulbs. I think I will switch to a 3-bulb setup 24" from the plants with the Aquiline bulb, a GE 6500K bulb, and a GE 3000K bulb.

Another question: How long do you go before changing bulbs?

Latest posts

Back