What species could this phap be?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

truemadman

Reaction score
What species could this paph be?

Hi All,

When I first saw this, I thought it was paph lowii. On the second look, I'm not so sure. Anyone has any idea what could this be? Or just another lowii?:confused:

Truemadman

Attachments

• Paph XXX.JPG
    Paph XXX.JPG
    26.6 KB · Views: 110
Lowii is a species that has a tremendous amount of variation within it. Some people would probably try to assign varietal or species names to some of the variants, but generally they are considered one species.

This particular Paph looks like lowii to me, though not a variant that is common in culture.

- Matthew Gore

Can you give more details? Is the color true? Plant size? No. of flrs on stem? Have you seen any others from same source? Can you supply true origin, or if from seed, photos of parents or maybe the name of originator?

Heather said:
or maybe var. lynniae?

Thanks for the links. I found out that paph lowii var lynniae is hairless. But this guy is so hairy.:confused:

As for your questions, Lance,

The color shown is true. The leave is about 2 inches wide and about 12 inches long. There are 4 flrs on a very hairy stem. The only other similar flower I’ve seen on the net is at

http://www.bloggang.com/data/nokia0269/picture/1143905651.jpg

Truemadman

All those hairs at the base of the petals, along with the spotting, reminds me of glaucophyllum/liemianum/etc. Could it be a hybrid between lowii and one of those? I'm sure I've seen this plant before...your flower looks really familiar.

Thanks for your response Madman, but can you give more info....

"Have you seen any others from same source? Can you supply true origin, or if from seed, photos of parents or maybe the name of originator?"

All the photos linked to here are very different from your photo.

Another clone

Here is another clone. It is unlikely to be lowii crossed with paph in the section cochlopetalum as there no red marking on the plant at all, I might be wrong.

The plant is green and tall. They all originated from Indonesia, that's the best info I have.

When the spike was young, it was green. Under good light, the stem turned green with red spots. Stronger the light, greater number of red spots on the stem.

What could it be?:confused:

Attachments

• paph x.JPG
    paph x.JPG
    20.2 KB · Views: 26
Thanks for the update.

Matt's right, P. lowii covers a very wide geographical range, and in it are many different types. I for one believe more identifiably different species will come from this variable group. If you look in my paph book you will see many of the types. Don't forget, just recently we have split P. richardianum and P lynniae from P. lowii; you should see some of the others I've seen....perhaps Olaf and others have, too.

Your plants appear to me to be the outcome of two of those types crossed with each other; they are very close but have quite different dorsal sepals and manner of spotting on the petal bases. If you are ever able to find more location/habitat data, I'd be interested in knowing it.

Incidentally, are ALL the stems smooth, fuzzy, or different? How would you describe them? And, how tall are they?

Very nice flower. I think what you have is the hybrid P. Toni Semple = lowii x haynaldianum. I have one and have seen many recently. The colour throughout the flower resembles them greatly. The spotting from haynaldianum disappears in many of the good coloured TS's. It is virtually impossible to tell P. TS plants from either parent. To me, the colouration of the dorsal and petal ends particularly. They are totally distinct in this flower and many other P. TS's. Flower variations in respect to colour are to be expected but yours, as in mine are stronger and relate directly to the quality of the parents used. I have also seen in the past few years many P.TS's sold as P.lowii. Its hard to mimic haynaldianum with the spots but some recently have tried. It is very difficult also to tell all three plants from each other.
Roy.

Just to clarify my post. My comments are directed to the first pic of ??? lowii posted, not the second. On review of the first pic, the pouch almost confirms to me that it is a P. Toni Semple.
Roy.

Lance Birk said:
Thanks for the update.

Incidentally, are ALL the stems smooth, fuzzy, or different? How would you describe them? And, how tall are they?

Hi Lance,

Hope below picture answers your first question. The stem is around 16 inches at the moment.

Truemadman

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back