What plants do you grow besides orchids?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Protea

I think I want to grow more of these. This was from a flower that I Root toned and stuck in a pot. Doing pretty good now that it's in the ground. Plant is about a foot tall...

Lithops, some other Mesembs,..., Echium, ... lots of things in the garden, but by no means a collection or aiming to do so...

I've started collecting Anthurium. Only three common ones so far but I'd love to get a couple that are grown just for the leaf patterns.

Limuhead....those are beautiful. More photos of it would be nice.

hellebores

Hi,
a really reliable late winter flower and doing well in our mild weather.
Flowers are totally rain proof as they hang down.
There has been a huge amount of breeding effort in the past 20 years and they have come along leaps and bounds.
These are all open pollinated plants grown from plants selected at the best nursery - Ashwoods.

Take a look at the photos on their web site:-
http://www.ashwoodnurseries.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=141

They take about 3 years to grow to FS from seed but they are tough plants and pretty easy.
I have a forest of seedlings under the plants and they have to be hoed out each year.

Regards,

David

Attachments

• group hellebores.jpg
    group hellebores.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 7
  • anemone picotee.jpg
    anemone picotee.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 4
  • double picotee.jpg
    double picotee.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 4
  • picotee 1.jpg
    picotee 1.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 5
  • pink 1.jpg
    pink 1.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 4
There are other kinds of plants?! No one informed me. Just orchids. Seriously though, my in-laws gave me some corotan seed to sow for them in my grow room. I hope they start out like orchids from flask, because that's all I know of seedling care.

Some spare house plants the last tenant left behind in my apartment, some dwarf papyrus, veggie seedling starts and some orphan perennial plugs in their way to different homes
Oh; and a pot of lemongrass

Carnivores. :)

a52e140d48da0f6f822561ee8b349208.jpg

e17fafb17bb695beb58d4ae6cee50285.jpg

440daa5c9ec7045fd6d9e042f4154c5a.jpg

2c148d4357fada4593392c80e0d6cea4.jpg

6a5f34a78ef0edd90e85fd64f270f04a.jpg

b92ee351fbc229298a1811bbe0394146.jpg

Nice range of insectivores you've got there. Whereabouts do you live in SW Florida? I was in Port Charlotte for a couple years. Ever been up to the panhandle to see the Sarracenia/Drosera fields? Awesome stuff!
I'm actually in the Southeast (Miami) usually but I'm going to school in Sarasota at the time being and no, I've always wanted to, the pictures I've seen are just gorgeous and I'm hoping to go up there one of these days but currently I just don't have the time :(

I'm actually in the Southeast (Miami) usually but I'm going to school in Sarasota at the time being and no, I've always wanted to, the pictures I've seen are just gorgeous and I'm hoping to go up there one of these days but currently I just don't have the time :(

Oops, didn't notice just S not SW… I spent most of my years in Gainesville, first as a student, then resident for 20 years. I did do one year in Miami - I loved the 'Glades and Big Cypress even though it's real rough country. The panhandle is wonderful in places - along the Apalachicola River, the savannas, and the wild beaches. Great for botanizing. Going to school sounds fun, I miss those years.

Oops, didn't notice just S not SW… I spent most of my years in Gainesville, first as a student, then resident for 20 years. I did do one year in Miami - I loved the 'Glades and Big Cypress even though it's real rough country. The panhandle is wonderful in places - along the Apalachicola River, the savannas, and the wild beaches. Great for botanizing. Going to school sounds fun, I miss those years.

Lol no worries :) and nice, I have quite a few friends at UF right now. Oh yeah getting through there is rough but imagine finding some ghost orchids :). The panhandle is definitely on my list of future trips :)

Latest posts

Back