What plants do you grow besides orchids?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've tried Welwitzchia, both from seed and small plants. Very difficult...............

Hi

I grow bonsai's, bromeliads, clivias, streptocarpus, hoyas,Tilandsia's and anything else that i can put in a pot. I have recently germinated a jade vine from seed:D

My hoyas and streptocarpus
DSCN0511.jpg

Thats one you don't see often

I've tried Welwitzchia, both from seed and small plants. Very difficult...............

they are a big pain
only about 30% germination from fresh seed
the seedlings are orange though!

IMG_3708_zpsb4a86760.jpg

and here's my biggest one. germinated in October, i think

IMG_3725_zps4b557e6f.jpg

i'm growing a lot of basal angiosperms at work
Amborella is tough too
already killed one....well, it died in my possession....
:(

I actually got a 100% germination. And 100% dying a few months later.

where did you get your seed and how did you germinate them?
i've been told they are very susceptible to some fungus so i have been giving a beneficial fungus fungicide (Companion, i think) every few weeks or months

Besides Orchids I grow Neos, Cattleyas, Restrepias, Laelia, Bulbophyllum beccarii, Some Dendrobiums....LOL

Besides Orchids I grow Neos, Cattleyas, Restrepias, Laelia, Bulbophyllum beccarii, Some Dendrobiums....LOL

WOW! you've got Bulb. beccarii! I've always wanted one of these:p You must love the smell when it flowers:rollhappy:

Sadly, but not that sadly, mostly veg.

This year we're growing:

Brandywine, Green Zebra, and San Marzano tomatoes
Habanero, Super Chile (??) and Guajillo chile - hoping to get a Serrano too.
Striata D'Italia zucchini
Boston Pickler cucumbers
Chanterais and an heirloom cantaloupe
Golden Midget and Lawrence Farm watermelons
French breakfast radishes
arugula
mesclun
cilantro
thyme
basil
marjoram
lavender
rosemary
chives

I found the envelope a few hours ago, I can send you a bunch of last year's seed... if it doesn't come up then no loss. If you know what lambs quarters is, it's a cousin to that. It likes to grow in the andean highlands, and has the most complete protein of any plant product. You can also grow it and eat the younger leaves/shoots as greens (just like lambs quarters)

I had an heirloom tomato last year called 'Red Cherry Large'. It made hundreds of cherry tomatoes the size of ping pong balls. It is the most vigorous tomato I've ever seen.

Here's some recent picture of my Nepenthes sanguinea. The pitcher is 4 inches tall (not including the lid). The leaf is 3 inches long. Does it seem to have super big pitchers relative to leaf size?

That's a lot of pitcher for the size of your plant. Your sanguinea has pretty good color for the type. I need to take a new picture, as right now it has more & larger pitchers than the older photo, but this is the best of my 4 Nepenthe hybrids. Nepenthe (alata x maxima) 'Dark', the hybrid (alata x maxima) is common, and usually fairly dull in color. This one was made using highly colored select parents, both the alata and the maxima were more colorful than typical for their types. And it seems to like my conditions. Its doing the best of the 6 Nepenthes I decided to try a couple years ago. Now I'm down to 3 and this one is the best. 4 inch pot, the vine is about 24 inches long and growing.

Got this from Tom Heller, there is a link to his page and email on my website, http://www.schordje.com

alata x maxima2013-02-21.jpg

Currently? Not much... I have a red passion flower of some sort, and technically I have a Venus Flytrap, but my brother's currently taking care of that one. Once we get the greenhouse in full swing, however, I'll probably branch out.

Latest posts

Back