What Paph esquirolei fma album x White Wings Is?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LO69

Reaction score
I'm wondering if Paph esquirolei fma album x Paph White Wings Is to be considered a sib cross or an ibrid?
Try to Google it but can't find useful info.
Honestly I don't care if it's a ibrid as I really love this flower and willing to grab one very soon.
Thanks to anyone who can clarify my doubts.

According the the Wildcat database, there is no registered Paph. White Wings. Searching the cultivar name only turns up one response - Paph stonei ‘White Wings’ HCC/AOS - and there is no registered cross between stonei and esquirolei.

Here It Is.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220414-184244~2.png
    Screenshot_20220414-184244~2.png
    471.6 KB · Views: 12
Could you please check your { Paph esquirolei fma album x Paph White Wings } as in the title and in the first posting- is that really the correct spelling? Your screenshot is aligned with plants offered by Asendorfer Orchideenzucht labelled { Paphiopedilum esquirolei var. album `Anja` x `White Wings`}
The screenshot tag is a sibling cross of two esquirolei album plants with different horticultural/cultivar names `Anja` and `White Wings`
Hope this helps...

According the the Wildcat database, there is no registered Paph. White Wings. Searching the cultivar name only turns up one response - Paph stonei ‘White Wings’ HCC/AOS - and there is no registered cross between stonei and esquirolei.
That's what I found out Ray! So strange.

Could you please check your { Paph esquirolei fma album x Paph White Wings } as in the title and in the first posting- is that really the correct spelling? Your screenshot is aligned with plants offered by Asendorfer Orchideenzucht labelled { Paphiopedilum esquirolei var. album `Anja` x `White Wings`}
The screenshot tag is a sibling cross of two esquirolei album plants with different horticultural/cultivar names `Anja` and `White Wings`
Hope this helps...
Thanks DirGo, sure It helps!
Another vendor ( Wichman) label It as : Paph. esquirolei album x P. White Wings that's why I was confused. I bet, as you say, it's a sib cross.

Thanks DirGo, sure It helps!
Another vendor ( Wichman) label It as : Paph. esquirolei album x P. White Wings that's why I was confused. I bet, as you say, it's a sib cross.
Indeed I found Wichman's shop entry now too... they are both even using the same picture... I belief wichman has mistyped the name :)

Rightly said, DirGo, with one exception: there is no indication, that we are talking a sib-cross here (i.e. a cross of two clones of the exact same parentage - unfortunately, the otherwise and in all other respect admirable Sam Tsui has murked the waters of the concept of sib-crosses). If I'm not wholely mistanken, the tag indicates, that it is a cross of two at some point rewarded clones, hence the clonal names (this is at least, how it works in Europe). This might not say a lot, though, as the awards might have been given long time back - and the quality of the flowers of this species might have improved markedly since. But from a reliable vendor like Hilmar of Asendorf, it might still give a nice hint of the pedigree of the plant - for what that's worth in the great lottery of genetics!

According the the Wildcat database....
Just for my info, Ray: does the Wildcat database cover awarded clones from all over - or just AOS-awards?
If the latter - given the proveniens of the plant in question, I would think it much more likely to consult the registry of awards of DOG (Deutsche Orchideen Gesellschaft - The German Orchid Society). Or, maybe simplest of all: write and ask Hilmar from Asendorfer Oz! He is always very friendly in communication!

Last edited:
Just for my info, Ray: does the Wildcat database cover awarded clones from all over - or just AOS-awards?
First of all, I must have had an OMBF (old man brain fart), as Wildcat went out of business years ago. What I meant to reference was Orchid Wiz, which according to their info, has award date from AOC, AOS, CAOB, CSA, DOG, HOS, NZOS, OCNZ, OSCOV, OSSEA, NSW, QOS, SAOC, SCO, SFOS, TOGA

Back