What might this paph be?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
maybe a barbigerum or a primary hybrid of a barbigerum...:confused:....but i could most definately be wrong species..

regardless i love the red/maroon on the dorsal

Yep that looks like coccineum to me too with a more extreme dorsal sepal than most.

Marco, coccieum is pretty close to barbigerum, and in some circles it's called barbigerum var. lockianum

I take that back about the tranlienianum. It would more likely be an unusual barbigerum :)

- Matt

Rick said:
Yep that looks like coccineum to me too with a more extreme dorsal sepal than most.

Marco, coccieum is pretty close to barbigerum, and in some circles it's called barbigerum var. lockianum

Cool. Thanks Rick. I don't know much about this stuff :eek: All i know is that it looks nice.

Marco said:
Cool. Thanks Rick. I don't know much about this stuff :eek: All i know is that it looks nice.

Marco, nice! Your post is what made me look up coccineum. I thought, hrm, dark barbigerum! :)
Definitely on the right track - and why I love these guessing threads. Easy and excellent way to learn the different species and crosses. Keep at it!

Really a true Paph. coccineum.
I asked also my friend Holger Perner, who described this species, and he said the same.

Best greetings

Olaf

Thanks all for the input! But I do not know the true identification of the plant myself.

Olaf, I'll try to get the picture of the whole plant next week. The plant does not belong to me! From my observation, the plant does not look like the Paph. coccineum that I have seen.

Some have speculated that it might be a new var or species, since so many of them have the same "hood" !

I agree, I think this is Paph. coccineum... the staminodial shield on this pictured one is slightly different then most, but I think there can be a variance in this species, as there is in Paph. barbigerum, Paph. helenae, etc...

-PM

Latest posts

Back