What kovachii hybrid?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Definitely Eumelia Arias, the size, color and leaves match exactly the one I have here, with recent blooms also :)
Here's a couple of pics.
This one i bought directly from miss Eumelia Arias, at her house here in Lima - Perú.

Thats a great one would love to have one like that
Welcome from germany

I'm going to throw in a possibility and say it may be kovachii x fischeri. I've only seen one photo of it, but it was from the UK (as is quaker) and I've never seen them blooming size in North America as of yet.

In addition, the close up picture shows many tiny hairs on the pouch, a distinct characteristic of fischeri. I've seen about 20+ Eumelia Arias flower here, and none of them have really had the look of this photo.

I tend to agree with Jason. Quaker's flower looks somewhat different than the others posted here.

I saw a box full of plants at the Arias house about 3 weeks ago(?) that were in bloom. They were not labeled but she said they were crossed with schlimii. Unfortunately all the flowers were crippled so I did not take a cu pic but here is a shot of the box. At first appearance they all just looked like small flowered kovachii with no color variation. Most had tall spikes and flowers facing down.

arias_1.jpg

My immediate instinct when looking at the pictures was kovachii x schlimii, so I have to agree with others who said the same. It doesn't look like kovachii x fischeri to me.

First of all I have to say that in my oppinion schlimii x kovachii is a realy exiting crossing and when the first plants came in flower, for sure there was quit a similar but never the less a natural spread in coloration, form and habitus was given.
But I think it's very interesting, that in the last time all the Pharg. Eumelia Arias exports of Peruflora look very equal in the plants habitus and the flowerform/colloraton. You can even notice that at the plants in this box, but
if you see the whole growing area it is even more eye-catching:
http://www.orchidboard.com/community/cypripedium-alliance-others/54330-phrag-eumelia-arias.html
(please remove the link if it isn't allowed to post it here)

It is only speculation, but the hybid was registrated 2007, so of then, the fast and strongest growers must already begann to bloom. Isn't it possible that the made a selection of the first ones and that all these plants in the picture are propergaret by cloning one of them?

Best regards,
Trimorph

I tend to agree with Jason. Quaker's flower looks somewhat different than the others posted here.

I saw a box full of plants at the Arias house about 3 weeks ago(?) that were in bloom. They were not labeled but she said they were crossed with schlimii. Unfortunately all the flowers were crippled so I did not take a cu pic but here is a shot of the box. At first appearance they all just looked like small flowered kovachii with no color variation. Most had tall spikes and flowers facing down.

arias_1.jpg

Latest posts

Back