What kovachii hybrid?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quaker

Reaction score

Bought this some months ago when the plant was just marked Phrag. Being a nutter for most phrags I couldn't refuse it. It grew three spikes, one of which I cut off when the buds looked not too good. Anyhow this is the first bloom and i would like to know if anyone from over the pond can identify the hybrid. It isn't large,about 3" across but I rather like it for the shape and color. At the back of the sepals there is a white line running the full lenght of the petal. Any help would be really appreciated.

Ed

Kaila Quintal? I mean, I have not seen this one offered in Europe yet (not saying it does not exist!)... based on probabilities, would Eumelia Arias be an option? I mean, I have no clue about Pk hybrids, but since the plant above is in UK...

Kaila Quintal? I mean, I have not seen this one offered in Europe yet (not saying it does not exist!)... based on probabilities, would Eumelia Arias be an option? I mean, I have no clue about Pk hybrids, but since the plant above is in UK...

I have no clues either as to what is available in Europe in pk hybrids. As I said, Kaila Quintal is Peruflora Cirila Alca x schlimii. 50% schlimii, 25 % kovachii and 25% dalessandroi.
Eumelia Arias is kovachii and schlimii. The size of the flower at 3 inches would fit Kaila Quintal well but also Eumelia Arias.
As JohnM said, without more photos and considering the flower is not fully open, it could also be Eumelia Arias. Fresh photos might help settle the issue. :)

Looks like several of my Eumelia Arias did. Never got a chance to bloom any of the Kaila's, they sold too fast.

Another pic of the plant. I don't know wether it's my age or my computer but I can't show more than one pic at a time----- I don't understand URL!!!!
So will show other pics on differing threads--- hope you don't mind!
thanks
Ed

I don't know if this helps. This is an example of Kaila Quintal (Peruflora Cirila Alca x schlimii). It is an old bloom. It was about 3.5 inches across. There is some similarities in the pouch. One difference that is apparent is the spotting on the petals that this bloom has ... but, hybrids vary so much.
img8736d.jpg

fischeri x schlimii? leaves look like no kovachii at all...just because it's pink doesn't mean kovachii for sure. the lack of recurving of the lower parts of the petals / lower parts of the dorsal look to me like it's either not a kovachii hybrid or, alternately, it's a really good one!

Thanks everyone. I'm leaning toward Eumelia Arias because of the regular shape I have seen on the web. Also the color is more of a purple shade than red. Would it be wrong of me to tag it with this label??

Ed

fischeri x schlimii? leaves look like no kovachii at all...just because it's pink doesn't mean kovachii for sure. the lack of recurving of the lower parts of the petals / lower parts of the dorsal look to me like it's either not a kovachii hybrid or, alternately, it's a really good one!

Definitely some kovachii in there. The the rear shots showing the fuzzy brown dorsal petal and synsepal did it for me. Lateral petal size (relative to the bloom) and stance are certainly kovachii-esque.

Here's my Kaila Quintal. I have no idea what you have, but am posting for comparison sake.

EDIT: Actually, I do have an opinion. Looks like Kaila Quintal to me.

Attachments

• Phrag.-Kaila-Quintal.jpg
    Phrag.-Kaila-Quintal.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 69
Definitely Eumelia Arias, the size, color and leaves match exactly the one I have here, with recent blooms also :)
Here's a couple of pics.
This one i bought directly from miss Eumelia Arias, at her house here in Lima - Perú.

Attachments

• 2012-05-06 11.25.57.jpg
    2012-05-06 11.25.57.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 65
  • P1170628.JPG
    P1170628.JPG
    80.9 KB · Views: 74
Back