What kind of fish should I get?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heather

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sacramento, CA. Outside w/ Southeast Exposure
In the next month or so, I'm going to be setting up my fish tank anew - my last endler bit it a couple weeks ago.

So, I want something hardy, cheap, and pretty. I am mostly planning on doing this because it provides good entertainment for a watchful cat when I am out at work during the day.

I will get more live plants and it was suggested at the pet store that I get a loach, which eats snails. I had really gotten into the snail breeding by accident and frankly, I don't want that to happen again.

The other two I liked were (I know, boring!) neon tetras and glowfish. Apparently all three should get along.

However, I thought I'd see if you guys had any other recommendations? I'd love to hear them! Thanks in advance!

When we had the tank our cats found the plecs to be the most fascinating for whatever reason. HTH :D

I'm in the process of setting up a saltwater tank (just what I need, another hobby, lol). As far as freshwater tanks go, I love to watch a school of neon tetras swimming around, I don't think they're boring at all.

I like the litte fresh water froggies. But I really think you need an Oscar.:evil: How big is your tank?

Well, first we should establish what size tank you have. Loaches get to be good sized fish, and reportedly can grow as big as 16 inches (although mine got up to be around 12). By the way, loaches are really detrimental to planted aquariums because they dig constantly and uproot plants. The best thing to do with snails is to dip the plants in a solution before putting them in the tank (I don't remember the name of the product). Neon tetras are awesome but also one of the more delicate tetras, I prefer rummy nose tetras, because they school tightly, are quite hardy, and I like their little racing stripes. Blackskirt tetras are also really neat, they are larger and less elongated than rummynose and neons and not as zippy. I have no experience with glo-fish because they are illegal in California. I've had zebra danios (minus the superfluous DNA) and have loved them in the community tank. Hope this helps.

I love red snapper! or flounder!

Heather,

Goldfish are cheap!! Especially after the cat eats them!!! :)Tom

:rollhappy: :rollhappy: :rollhappy: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thanks!
I have a six gallon tank.

No wonder they croak, they have nowhere to go! Aren't smaller aquariums harder to maintain, less stable in temp & water quality? I would think a bit larger tank might allow the inhabitants to be a bit more secure & could be more entertainment for the cat??? The guppy suggestion would be good if they were all the same sex!

i don't know if a six gallon would be big enough for a clown loach. i've heard you should establish the tank for several months before getting the loach as they can be pretty sensitive.

No wonder they croak, they have nowhere to go!

Um, the fish were about a half inch in size...there is plenty of room for small fish. That was not the issue at all.

The loach the recommended was only about an inch long and black and white - any idea of the particular species? They did not indicate it would get large...

I guess at this point I'm just leaning towards the tetras.

I would say, 1 betta, or a few guppies, or a few tetras, or for the pico tank connoisseur a colony of galaxy rasbora, or Badis bengalensis, or a mated pair of German Rams. The smallest loach I know is the YoYo loach, but I would still say 10 gallon minimum. Can't wait to see pics!

Oh I forgot to mention I have had purely invert tanks too, I have a two gallon tank that houses clams and Caridina gracilirostris or 'Rhino Shrimp'. Here's a good photo of the shrimp, they are too fast for my camera. //www.azgardens.com/images/shrimp_C.%20gracilirostris%2020%20.jpg

That is very exciting. I use to have a 50 gallon tank back in the Philippines it had black lace angel, neon tetra, tinfoil, Bronze and Zebra coridoras, algae eater catfish ( can't remember the name) and a fresh water puffer.

Some loaches has barbs under their eyes (be careful).

Ramon:)

Heather, just a few suggestions here... instead of neon tetra, you might want to try cardinal tetra (the one with full red stripe). Danios, barbs and rasboras are supposedly easy too. Rasbora heteromorpha (Harlequin) is a small hardy species. You might wish to get some corydoras too to scavenge the bottom of the aquarium. Bettas are a good suggestion but they have a short lifespan and are only beautiful at their prime.. Good luck..! :)

Heather, just a few suggestions here... instead of neon tetra, you might want to try cardinal tetra (the one with full red stripe). Danios, barbs and rasboras are supposedly easy too. Rasbora heteromorpha (Harlequin) is a small hardy species. You might wish to get some corydoras too to scavenge the bottom of the aquarium. Bettas are a good suggestion but they have a short lifespan and are only beautiful at their prime.. Good luck..! :)

Good suggestion on the Cardinal Tetra. They are hardier, and much more colorful than regular Neons. Neons really need soft water (not from water softener) and lower pH to thrive, Cardinals are a bit more tolerant. If you water your orchids with RO, rain, or distilled water, use it for the fish.

I think the only real solution is to get a bigger tank, then get a Polypterus (Bichir). One of the neatest fish on the planet. Each week you can put in several cute little guppies, and your cat will be fully entertained watching the Poly eat them.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back