What is this?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlipperFan

Addicted
Reaction score
This belongs to a friend. We don't think it is what it's name says. What's your educated opinion about the parents?

Paph_Brendas.jpg

Looks like a brachy onto one of the green/yellowish parvis. From the way you phrased your question, I'm guessing the tag says emersonii by something and you don't think emersonii is a parent. ;) Right? What's the natural spread?

-Ernie

Ron -- I wondered about bellatulum because of the shortness of the spike. But the webbing pattern is nothing like bellatulum, nor is the staminode.

Candace -- I also wondered about malipoense and concolor. But there's that staminode.

Roy -- Mint Chocolate is one I wondered about. But here's my Mint Chocolate for comparison: (Note the staminode -- and the mis-named is definitely yellow, not green as is MC)
Paph_MintChocolate.jpg

Ernie -- emersonii is not on the tag. The natural spread 4.25" (11 cm)

hmm... the staminoidal shield colour makes me think there is malipoense in there. the short (at least from what i can see in the picture) stem makes me think bellatulum. the colour could be armeniacum or concolor.

so, it could be conco-bellatulum x malipoense = Christiana richards,

Roy -- Mint Chocolate is one I wondered about. But here's my Mint Chocolate for comparison: (Note the staminode -- and the mis-named is definitely yellow, not green as is MC)

Dot, after looking at your pic, I did a websearch. The Mint Choc's I found, 2 had the same staminode as the one in the pic. They also, had the fine spotting & yellowish. Not to say this is correct, just my findings.

Thanks, Roy. I did a search also. It's possible that's what this could be. But as I look at those photos, I think the webbing pattern is too strong to be a match.

Bench, I think your suggestion comes closest so far. Here's a photo of a Christiana Richards I found on the Amherst Orchid Society's site that is very, very similar: (The photographer asks that the photo not be copied. I hope I'm not being devious by copying the url to it.)
http://www.bobscomp.com/Orchid Page/amhearstshow2002/paphiopedilum christiana richards.jpg

Latest posts

Back