what is this?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paphioboy

hehehe...
Reaction score
Penang, Malaysia..d home of fabulous paphs.
can anybody please tell me what this is? its a little 'weed' i found growing by the local recycling centre..:p it has feathery leaves, is a twiner, and the bright red flowers are very cute..
IMG_1252.jpg

IMG_1253.jpg

I'm quite sure it's in the Ipomoea family (morning glory). It's common name could be Cardinal Climber. Seed catalogs should offer them.

Rose is right. I believe your picture is what we call Cypress Vine, Ipomoea quanoclit, a native of Mexico and South America. The feathery leaves look a bit like a bald cypress leaf. There is also a version with the feathery leaf more in a fan shape, that is Ipomoea sloteri, the Cardinal Climber

Both are grown in the US as annual vines for their red flowers. Might be perenial in the tropics. A few members of the Ipomoea are famous for their psychodelic alkoloid contents. There is no mention of this plant in that context, so either it is "mostly harmless" or has not been tested. So much for "Deathroot"

Leo

Leo posted before I could. He's right. But, the spelling is Ipomoea quamoclit

Got any hummingbirds around, Paphioboy?

In my younger day we got hold of some absinthe and when I read how it was made from morning glory seeds we collected some and started to try to make it but the distilling and cooling process was too much for a bunch of 10 Y.O.'s. [truth]

Back