What is this phrag? It's not the "grande" I was sold

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

johnndc

I'm a bit annoyed. I've been growing this Phrag Grande 'Select' I got from Hausermann's like 3+years ago. Got it as a small compot. I now have two different pots growing wonderfully in a form of semi-hydro (using a bark/chc mix, but sitting in water, it LOVES it). And now that the plant is wonderfully established, it blooms, and is clearly not a grande. It looks like a besseae type cross. The flower is quite pretty, but it's not my taste. I'll be getting rid of this plant and it's brother soon. So tell me, what is this? (And I assume, since grande isn't really a very expensive plant, it's not worth complaining to hausermann's, or is it?) Thanks, JOHN

Nope, that's sure not Grande!
I would send the photo to Hausermann's in case maybe they recognize it. That's also a good, polite way of letting them know you didn't get what you thought they sent you.

I will do some hunting around online, but I would guess there is some longifolium and some besseae, but I'm not turning anything up right away that makes me think it is a primary hybrid. The red is pretty dark, and there's a lot of green in the flower. If I find anything similar I'll post it. :)

Oh!
I think it's St. Peter! (Eric Young x longifolium)
That was my first phrag and the growth habit of yours, John, sure reminds me of it and it tends to be a bit darker in color than Eric Young cause of the double shot of longifolium.

Here's a photo of Dot's plant.
http://www.slipperorchids.info/phragcomplex/PhragSaintPeter2.jpg

Actually, the leaves in this calurum picture look like mine.

mario02.jpg

Calurum is a possibility but I think it is the cross between Calurum and longifolium, Phrag. Saint Peter. In the shown cross is more Phrag. longifolium than in Calurum.

Best greetings

Olaf

I've had a number of problems with plants from Hauserman's, including mislabelled plants. They have been good about replacing things, even a long time after purchase. So I would definitely contact them if I were you.

Your phrag is pretty though, even if it's not what was advertised.

Calurum or Atropurpureum. I believe Hausermanns used to sell a clone called Calurum "Select" many years ago.

I just received some plants from Orchid Zone, and one of the alba paphs was labelled Phrag Don Wimber... So I think everybody makes mistakes now and then. :)

Hausermann's got back to me and said that the plant is in fact a calurum. They offered to replace it for a grande if I bring the original plant back. I don't live in Chicago. I'm going to ask them if I can just mail it back when the season warms up. I do a good amont of shopping there, if it were my customer I wouldn't make them bring or ship the plant back at their own expense. Whatever.

I would respond back to them with that statement. Remind them that you shop there often and it was their error not yours and that you feel it is not your responsibility to inccur the cost of shipping the plant back to them. You purchased it in good faith that it was a Grande.

I have heard that complaint about Hausermann's before. They'll send you a correction, but pretty much at your expense. They are the only vendor I know of that requires the plant back in an event when they made the mistake. Having heard stories such as John's from more than one person led me to choose not to purchase from Hausermann's.

Not to mention, I just grew this this plant from a seedling into a damn nice six fan blooming size plant. I'm not sure I'm quite in the mood to just return it. I'd much rather trade it on here, or just give it away to someone.

eh, I'd keep it too. I put H on my blacklist years ago after hearing too many misID situations and the not-so-pleasant replacement policy.

I should dig up the strongly worded email I sent them last fall...it resulted in them replacing a plant at their expense without me having to return the defective one.

but I'm still never buying anything from them again. too many problems on multiple levels.

Yes. Fox Valley is totally seperate from Hausermann's. Tom Kalina runs Fox Valley and, I'm pretty sure, he simply rents space from Hausermann's. Otherise, they're two totally different shops, different plants, different owners, etc. Tom is great. He even made me bring some plants back because I bought them when he wasn't there and he was afraid I might have picked the smallest plants LOL

Latest posts

Back