what is this paph?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Amelia

Hello-
I'm totally new at growing orchids. I got this Paph as a gift, but it has no tag. What is this? Where should I place this in the house? How often does this bloom? Thanks!

paph06ir5.jpg

I don't know - I'm just as new at this as you, but I'll say that's one stunning flower! Someone likes you very very much.

Hi Heather-
I have 2 paphs (I received the first one back in May which is not currently blooming.) sitting near the southeast window in the house. They're not right next to the window. Should I leave them next to the window?
I can also place them in the southwest area. Another option is northwest. Which is better?
Thanks, Amelia

Southeast is best....northwest may not get enough light, southwest can get too hot, and you'll need to keep it as cool as possible to bloom it next year...any outdoor access would be ideal. Its a gorgeous complex paph hybrid...unless you are seriously into them, don't worry about knowing the exact ID...best grown with cool temps in the fall to set and maintain the buds. Take care, Eric

Ya know, I had a bunch that all bloomed out darn near identical to this. Perfect apple green with that narrow white halo; exact same shape; nice fat petals; huge flowers on fairly compact plants (for a complex). Mine were Paph. (Wall-Jolly X Spring Hills).

Welcome to the forum Amelia!!! Enjoy...

-Ernie

HI from NYC. It depends on where you are? Most Paphs are from Southeast Asia, and thereforelike it warm and moistish. There are some people on this forum in the South and they grow theirs outdoors.

NYEric said:
HI from NYC. It depends on where you are? Most Paphs are from Southeast Asia, and thereforelike it warm and moistish. There are some people on this forum in the South and they grow theirs outdoors.

Thanks all for the useful information.

Well, the two paphs need to stay in the house. Are humdity trays a necessity for windowsill orchids?

Back