What is this, Dodi (and the rest of you, too, of course)?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what makes it var Laurae?
I probably won't be able to come up with a better answer than the one Eggshell's provided to the same question, when you asked in 2019:
One of the distinctions is the subtle spots on the dorsal and also plant habit. This is a much more compact plant than the standard form.
To get any wiser, we'll have to search for Golamo's original description! Or maybe be the happy owner of Gruß' new books on the genus (if or when he gets to this variety of the species).

Last edited:
Beautiful P. haynadianum (var. laurae).
............To get any wiser, we'll have to search for Golamo's original description! Or maybe be the happy owner of Gruß' new books on the genus (if or when he gets to this variety of the species).
Sorry, Olaf dedicated 2 pages of his book to Paph. haynaldianum var. laurae but he wrote nothing about taxonomical issues.

I cite from his book:
"Einschätzung:
Ob die Einstufung der Pflanzen als eine Varietät von Paph. haynaldianum gerechtfertigt ist, lässt sich wegen der nur wenigen, gefundenen Pflanzen kaum verifizieren. Zudem befinden sich nur wenige Pflanzen zur genaueren Untersuchung in Kultur."
Translation.
"Evaluation / assesment :
Whether the classification of the plants as a variety of Paph. haynaldianum is justified, is due to the few plants which were found hardly to verify. Furthermore are only few plants in cultur to make exact examinations.

Albeit not the original description, Andres S. Golamco, Jr. in a later article describes var. laurae thus:
02.jpg

The new variety of Paphiopedilum haynaldianum was discovered in Cebu Island, Philippine and described in Waling-Waling Review 2002 as Paphiopedilum haynaldianum var.laurae. In truth, this new variety was discovered by local village people in1998 and sent to the auther in order to identify. Some of those specimen were flowered and the color pattern, hue and form of these flowers were different from common type,Paphiopedilum haynaldianum Rchb.f.The type of Paphiopedilum haynaldianum was discovered in Luzon Island. Comparing with The flowers of this new variety common typen in Indonesia and Malaysia, this new variety have a shorter inflorescence 25~35cm long and the petals are downswept almost paralel along the sides of the pouch. The spotting near the base of the dosal sepal are either reduced or absent. The pouch and the base color of the dosal sepal and petals are yellow bronze to orange-tan in color.​

The description says the petals are parallel to the pouch; down swept.

If this is so.....than are neighter the plant of Jens (Guldal) nor the plant of eggshells a true Paph. haynaldianum var. laurae.
I found two bad photos of Paph. haynaldianum var. laurae on the site of Dr. Tanaka. This flower with its downswept petals fits obviously to the description mentioned by Stephen.

The description says the petals are parallel to the pouch; down swept.
Nope, but the rest of the description fits.... and I wonder, whether the downswept petals are indeed a trait or maybe just a characteristicum for the few plants, Golamco flowered and saw before he described this variety... We all remember the history behind the name 'micranthum', don't we! ;)

These flowers look like what Sam, Orchid Inn, has been calling haynaldianum v vinicolor. Only i think the petals are maroon approaching the pouch with reduced or no spotting. I'm not totally sure.

Thanks to Eggshells, I have lots of his laurea seeds (now babies) in the lab. I'll see how consistent this ilk is! A 5 year plan lol and lots of friends.

Latest posts

Back