What is it?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After having browsed through a lot of FD-photos (and maybe a few, that probably wasn't) I hurry to jump on exactly that bandwagon! :cool:

Please, clear up my confusion: a taiwanense by the name of Ivan?! :confused:

The tag was micranthum red lantern x jumbo. Garbage in other words..
"Garbage in other words" not really, someone made a careless mistake along the way, it maybe just a piece of information missing in the tag. Did you buy a flask from the Taiwanese breeder? or a retail plant from a local vendor?
it is a very beautiful flower still, a keeper for sure.
You would not care about the parents' identities of a beautiful girl, who does not know who her parents are, if she is your girlfriend.
If you still upset about it, just give it the clone name "mumbo jumbo'

Last edited:
Like nearly all paph flasks in Australia it would have been imported through a local agent, in this case from Taiwan.
'Stones' frustration is understandable given the time, effort, money and lost opportunity in growing on something he doesn't really want.
On to Ebay...................???

I surrender; After an exhaustive amount of research, it could be Fumi's Delight.
hi Tom, you also have this micranthum species cross using the same parents:
micranthum 'Red Lantern'x micranthum'Jumbo', how do they all flower out?
http://www.foxvalleyorchids.com/catalog.htm
the photo result of one flower on the website looks gorgeous.
I suspect Mike's plant is a 2 different species cross,
micranthum 'Red Lantern' x armeniacum 'Jumbo'
and the vendor forget to type in the armeniacum pollen parent species, just the 2nd clone name,
so it appears as if the plant is the result of 2 micranthum

Last edited:
Like nearly all paph flasks in Australia it would have been imported through a local agent, in this case from Taiwan.
'Stones' frustration is understandable given the time, effort, money and lost opportunity in growing on something he doesn't really want.
On to Ebay...................???
Tom of Fox Valley has the micranthum species cross

Wow. That was an old catalog page! Based on the clonal names, we probably bought a flask from Sam as well and grew the seedlings to saleable size before listing them. Maybe a mix-up at the lab?

This flower absolutely has no hangianum. It definitely has micranthum and armeniacum.
If you are unsure by looking at the flower, then, looking at the leaves is a dead giveaway.
Hangianum/emersonii x any other parvi look nothing like parvi hybrids that do not have hangianum/emersonii in plant appearance.
If you have seen a few examples, then you will know from a few feet away. It's that different.

Mike, it might be worthwhile contacting Ivan to see if anyone ordered a flask of FD (or similar) to see if there could have been a simple label mix up in transit.
I'm not worried enough about it to bother. I just bought a flask of those round yellow concolors off him. ....here's hoping! The parents are below (the supposed parents that is) I've bought flasks with parent pics like this before and no way were they correct when I saw the flower. I basically don't trust anything coming out of Asia (anywhere in Asia) and consider myself lucky if I get what I hoped for. I've bought flasks with parent pics like this before and when they flowered (venustums in this case) no way where the pics of the parents.

Attachments

• paph con.JPG
    paph con.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 4
Back