What is causing this?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shiva

Reaction score
Phrag. Foolerisch (Phrag. April Fool x Phrag. fischeri)

I have a handful of phrags in my collection that have these new growths die back. Can't see no bugs. Water is below 100 ppm. There is good ventilation. It has good roots. I sprayed with fungicides, repotted it, the last time in small size diatomite chips with lots of crushed oyster shells to raise the pH. This might work but I'd like to hear what you think.

I'd be going the other way on the pH unless that's where you are coming from. I have two ways of growing my Phrags; S/H or CHC sponge rock charcoal and mixed stones. Very few rocks are of the limestone base type. Some have been potted for a number of years and I've not seen anything like this. When I used a high ratio of fertilizer I got die back but mostly on the old growths. Neither culture has anywhere near the alkalinity you're growing in.

Last edited:
The majority of my plants grow with a pH of 6,2, and most are very satisfied. Reading that fisheri grows at a higher pH, I decided to try the high road. I used two kinds of fungicide including No Damp. I also frequently put hydrogen peroxyde in the water reservoir to help kill of potential bacterias. I grow hydroponic with Aussie Gold media. The room is air conditioned and temps go from 19°C to 27° C, this time of year.

I was going to ask about your temperatures, as I had a few plants which looked the same a few years ago, but it was due to cold exposure. If your plant is new, was it not exposed to frost during shipping?

I've checked that. No mites. It's possible that some phrags don't like diatomite after all. This could be my next move, going back to a bark mix for those few phrags that don't seem to grow well in Aussie Gold. There's always some who don't like a mix whatever is being used.

i rescued a few (unknown)phrags that looked like this (well, they had all kinds of problems)..i grew them in straight coconut husk for a year and they perked up really nice then repotted last summer in bark perlite..growing fine..my ph here in seattle is in the low 6's..i have some fischeri that grow in bark perlite sitting in water and doing well

I would have to agree with Ozpaph, looks a lot like mite damage. I had a similar problem years ago, couldn't figure it out for a while. I believe that some mites are very small, hard to see and although I have no proof whatsoever I suspect that they may hide in the media or leaf axis for self-preservation...

Not mites, you got dirty water on the leaves. Your mix is too heavy in dolomite. try a more moisture retaining organic mix, include live sphagnum if you have any . Also not too much oyster shell. Good luck. If it recovers and becomes dividable I want a piece. :)

Latest posts

Back