What I took home from RHS show

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myxodex

Reaction score
loshaulyk9.jpg

Clockwise from back left: Phrag. pearcei, Paph. Rimbertianum "eclipse" (in flower), Paph hookerae v volonteanum, P. hookerae v volonteanum, P.wilhelmineae "gardineri",
P. druryii, P. Spicy Henry, P. Cymatodes "Beechense" and 2x P. bullenianum in the middle (labelled as "celebesense" (left) and "ceramensis" (right). The Rimbertianum, Cymatodes and Spicy Henry were pre-orders from Ratcliffes.

I lost my P. hookerae this winter (drip into crown not noticed) :sob: ... hence two volonteanums (couldn't find standard hookerae). Well I now have 4 bullenianum's and 2 druryii's.

Cheers,
Tim

Hi Heather,
Rimbertianum is P. ciliolare x hookerae (1893). Ratcliffe's were selling a division. This poor plant had a bud just beginning to open ... the Hall got very hot and it looked a little limp ... and then it had to be exposed to a cold wind on the walk to the underground. I'll post some other pics of it in a while.
Tim

Very nice plants! What are they potted in? It looks like rocks on the surface? I'm intrigued.

here are the Rimbertianum pics. The flower is a bit wonky: staminode and pouch skew.
rimbert00np6.jpg

In direct sunshine it really glows :
rimert01hh1.jpg

In indirect/subdued light the petals actually look purple which the next pic doesn't really capture ... still dark 'n broody:
rimert02ge2.jpg

Tom499, I use a mix of bark, dynarock with a bit chopped sphag ... what you see is the top dressing which is dynarock. I used to top dress with sphag but I now prefer the dynarock as it doesn't go manky but still absorbs a lot of water.

Dynarock, got you :) Looks very tidy, think I'll have to look into the stuff.

Love the P. Rimbertianum btw.

Elena, I bought the P.wilhelmineae from Hilmar Bauch of Asendorfer Orchideenzucht ... labelled as gardineri ... he also had some labelled as P. wilhelmineae. He always brings a few trays of young paph species plants which mostly look in good condition ... which is why I couldn't resist the gardineri, druryii and ceramensis as all three looked to be "bursting with vigour". He will be at Peterborough in June in case you are interested.
Cheers,
Tim

Thanks, Tim! Asendorfer rings a bell, I wonder if it's the same vendor who had besseae flavum.

I lobe the colours of your P. Rimbertianum too.

I have a volonteanum that is opening right now. It has been in bud for about 6 months (at least it seems like) and the flower stem is probably over 2 ft long. I am hoping it's open in time for the Oregon Orchid Society Show next weekend. If my partner would break out the Nikon D40 that I just got him for his birthday, maybe I could get a nice picture of it to post...along with my lowii and Pinocchio that are blooming.

Craig

ps...I absolutely love the Rimbertianum and I too lost my hookerae.

Back