What exactly defines a Parvi or Brachy?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I enjoy keeping paphs and would love my collection to grow, however I want to become more knowledgeable about them. I have been seeing Parvi and Brachy being used to describe paphs. Is it due to hybridization that makes one or the other?

Thanks,
Christian

It's the taxonomic rank of subgenus. Subgenera are natural divisions within a genus like Paphiopedilum, which group clusters of similar species together. So, species in Brachypetalum are all more closely related to each other than they are to species in subgenus Parvisepalum.

Other subgenera are Barbata, Pardalopetalum, and Cochlopetalum. These are just a few of them.

It's the taxonomic rank of subgenus. Subgenera are natural divisions within a genus like Paphiopedilum, which group clusters of similar species together. So, species in Brachypetalum are all more closely related to each other than they are to species in subgenus Parvisepalum.

Other subgenera are Barbata, Pardalopetalum, and Cochlopetalum. These are just a few of them.

I see, that makes sense. Thank you for such a clear response!

Also might be helpful to know that Parvisepalum is Latin for "small sepal," and Brachypetalum is "short petal."

Is that already official or a mere suggestion (by whom)? Do you know about the reasons?
Thanks Michael

All the Brachy species were listed as belonging to section Concoloria in “An Annotated Checklist of Paphiopedilum Species” by Harold Koopowitz in the Oct-Dec 2018 issue of Orchid Digest

Thanks Chris
Eric thanks, that site is a kind of bible to me when I'm deciding how to treat a species.
Michael

Back