What else have I missed?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sirius

Plant Nerd
Reaction score
I feel like I've been in a coma for the past four years. Neofinetia is now Vanda? Sedirea is now Phalaenopsis? Oak Hill Gardens is a memory? You can buy orchids straight from the Orchid Zone without a secret handshake and $4000?

I really do feel like I have woken up in the Twilight Zone. What else have I missed? What are the new orchid discoveries everyone is excited about? Why are there so many new Neofinetia varieties on the market? Where is everyone shopping these days?

Paph rungsurianum and Paph canhii are certainly hot items! And nice to meet you John!

You are still in a coma.

That's the twist ending. I still have ahead of me, more increasing levels of confusion at how much has changed while I wasn't paying attention. Are they breeding Cattleya with Cymbidiums yet?

I was vaguely aware of the black orchid craze in Catasetum hybridization.

How is Peru these days?

That's the twist ending. I still have ahead of me, more increasing levels of confusion at how much has changed while I wasn't paying attention. Are they breeding Cattleya with Cymbidiums yet?

I was vaguely aware of the black orchid craze in Catasetum hybridization.

How is Peru these days?

Peru is lovely!

No not breeding Catts with Cyms. No need to, they have 3d printers for those tough crosses.

Welcome back, I was just thinking about you the other day. Are you back or just hallucinating?

Paph rungsurianum and Paph canhii are certainly hot items! And nice to meet you John!

Paph rungsurianum! Holy smokes, that's colorful. I will have to read about those later tonight. Nice to meet you too.

Peru is lovely!

No not breeding Catts with Cyms. No need to, they have 3d printers for those tough crosses.

Welcome back, I was just thinking about you the other day. Are you back or just hallucinating?

Brandy and I have been through a lot since that day we sat with you in Santa Barbara. We continued moving around until Brandy got her Masters degree last year. We are settled in South Carolina for now. She's working on her Doctorate and I'm making pottery again.

Brandy and I have been through a lot since that day we sat with you in Santa Barbara. We continued moving around until Brandy got her Masters degree last year. We are settled in South Carolina for now. She's working on her Doctorate and I'm making pottery again.

Weren't you training is respiratory care or something? Whatever it was pottery is much better! Do you still have orchids and your bonsai?
What's Brandy's Dr study in?

Santa Barbara must have been 8 or 9 years ago?

It's good to have you back, need someone around not afraid to argue. ;)

Respiratory therapy, yeah, but I'm done with that. My body is teaching me lessons in humility. Arthritis is no joke. The pottery keeps me busy. I have two galleries selling my work, and just got my first commission checks last week.

I'm adding new plants to our garden. We just bought a house a year ago. Brandy is a pediatric nurse practitioner now, so she's capping off that career.

I just started buying more orchids.

I'm working on some new stuff for a Christmas show, but none of it's fired yet. These are some tumblers I did for a spring show a couple months back. I make mostly functional items like cups, mugs, platters etc. Working on some pitchers and canisters now too.

nzRRK6.jpg

Edit: Wow, that photo is small. Trying to figure out how to do this stuff on a phone.

John - Welcome back. You have a long email coming! Don't worry I've been out of the mix for quite a while as well. I didn't jump back on until late 2015.

Those cups look fantastic. Do you have an online portfolio that we can look at?

Hello John. I'm Angela (abax) from KY and happy to meet
you. The pottery pieces are lovely and I'm definitely a
lover of pottery. Do you sell to just anyolebody or only
gallery pieces?

I also have degenerative arthritis and it ain't no picnic for sure!
You have my deepest empathy.

Thanks for the welcome back. I don't have much of a portfolio yet. I just started back in Feb. I made a bunch of stuff for a local pottery show in May, and sold almost all of it. That led to being invited to join a couple of local galleries. Think more like gift shops full of artist's works, not fine art galleries. There is another show I want to do at Christmas, so I am trying hard to get stuff made. I am so far behind! Someday I'll have enough stock on hand to sell some everywhere.

Nice pottery! Welcome back! I, too, fell out of orchids for a while, and now I'm falling back in again. Life has many twists and turns along the way, and nothing ever really stays the same.

Interesting Lance. I was thinking the same thing. Marni
Turkel doesn't make the beautiful Cym pots anymore and
that gap should be made right. Phrags. love those tall
pots with many holes as do many other plants.

Now John you have a market right here on ST. I've also
got a "thing" about collecting pottery pitchers.

Back