What do you think?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paphioboy

hehehe...
Reaction score
Penang, Malaysia..d home of fabulous paphs.
Hi, guys... Just have a question about cooling slippers... This may sound a bit crazy.. :p As I live in a tropical climate, but wish to grow parvis (in fact, I have a micranthum :p), I was wondering if I could stick the plant in the fridge when the growth matures to induce blooming. :confused: I am tempted to do it as temps in Malaysia are never below 25 degrees Celsius, but I'm afraid the plant may not be able to tolerate it. But in the natural habitats of parvis, the winter temperature supposedly drops to near freezing, and the paphs are able to tolerate it and bloom. I won't put it in the fridge for 2 months straight of course..! I'm thinking of just refrigerating the paph for about 3 or 4 hours at night... Do you think this will work? Thanks... :)

The only thing that concerns me about your idea is the sudden drop in temp. In nature you normally don't get a 50 degree change in temp in matter of a few minutes. Try a less valuable (hybrid) plant first.:)

Rick H

The A/C might just do it for you w/o the refrig:) There are retail growers here in TX that A/C there GH to bring in spike Phals. Move the plant into the room one day then continue to move the plant closer to the A/C vent for the max cooling. Keep us posted:) P.S. if it works, then I'll risk one of mine:D

Latest posts

Back