What do you think of this one?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlipperKing

Madd Virologist
Reaction score
Any guesses of the parents in this primary cross? I've had this plant for awhile and it's had it's ups and downs. At one time I almost pitched it out but now that it's on an up swing, I think I'll try to keep it that way:)

Pyufului1-08.jpg

Now I don't know if I can trust my tag! In this PIC, the left is the plant in question and to the right is my Sorcerer's Apprentice. There is a huge difference in plant size. The SA is a round 3.5 feet tall from the bottom of the pot,up. The questionable plant is about 1 foot tall and reg. as Phrag Yu-Fu Lui (lindleyanum X carcinatum). But you all say longifolium is in the cross, it could be.
PyufuluiSA1-08.jpg

Anyone have this cross or similar crosses using carcinatum or lindleyanum?
Here is a closeup of Yu-Fu Lui (darn! forgot to clean off the cobwebs)
PYFL4.jpg

And a closeup of SA
PSorcerersApprenticeCloseup.jpg

I can't speak for Ramon, but your original question what "Who are the parents?" My first guess was longifolium because the flowers looks a lot like Sorcerer's Apprentice and Urgandiae. But then you posted a photo of your questioned flower and your Sorcerer's Apprentice side-by-side, showing the small flower by comparison. When Leo noted that the tag was probably right, lindleyanum x caricinum, I thought that made sense, but offered that sargentianum also offers smaller flowers. Were it mine, I'd go with what the tag says.

Thanks Dot and Ramon for your comments. Also thanks for the link. That gave merit to my plant as Yu-Fu Liu but it sure mimmicks a SA!

Unless you are breeding with the plant I would not make myself too crazy second guessing the parentage. The only thing that counts is if you enjoy the flower.

Any guesses of the parents in this primary cross? I've had this plant for awhile and it's had it's ups and downs. At one time I almost pitched it out but now that it's on an up swing, I think I'll try to keep it that way:)

Pyufului1-08.jpg

Here is my Mem. Ed Murphy I've made, it is hinksianum x kaeteurum it look like a small branching Sor. Apprentice

MemEdMurphyb.jpg

Kaeteurum is the smalest of the platypetalum group 12 inches leaf span max. I'm having Urgandiae, Sor. Apprentice and Mem.Ed Murphy in bloom right now in the greenhouse I will post it this weekend to show the size and differences.

Latest posts

Back