what do you know about these?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

What can you tell me about the cultivation requirement of the following species:

Paph. gratrixianum (particularly the Burma form)
Paph. malipoense
Paph. spicerianum var. giganteum
Paph. wardii

I have no trouble with Paph. Leeanum (not like that is really note worthy) so I guess the spicerianum var giganteum will be equally easy to grow. How are gratrixianum and wardii as regards temperature tolerance. The wardii come from China so I imagine they can stand being cool for part of the year.

What have been your experiences with the above species?

Also, I’m eager to learn what characters they impart to hybrids.

Thanks

They can all handle cooler temps. Do they need to have the cooler temps to bloom? That might depend on the individual plant. Wardii grows & blooms for me regularly in intermediate temps.

Our malipoense, which we have now been waiting patiently 4 months to open, grows intermediate-warm. In the winter, the min. temp is set to 61 - 63, but being closer to the windows it might touch the upper 50's. Daytime it gets up to the mid-70's on sunny days, stays in the 60's on cloudy days.

In the summer, the temps are in the low 70's at night, up to the upper 80's during the day. It gets fairly bright light; it is shaded by the coffee plants, which are in full sun, but gets direct sun in the morning. Likes even moisture, not too wet or dry, and likes a little bit of calcium.

I've always kept wardii cool. I think all of those plants can be kept together under the same conditions...cool to the lower end of intermediate. Eric

I've always kept wardii cool. I think all of those plants can be kept together under the same conditions...cool to the lower end of intermediate. Eric

I grow all these within the same few square feet of greenhouse space. Which is toward the darker cooler area of my GH.

The malipoense is the most tolerant, but none of the group are notoriously tough. The gratrix, spicerianum, and wardii are a bit touchier about dry air conditions, and like humidity levels greater than 60%. I also top dress the malipoense and spicerianum with oyster shell and bone meal, and just bone meal for the other two.

Latest posts

Back