What caught my eye this year

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quietaustralian

Reaction score
The year will shortly be coming close and I'm interested to know what caught your eye over the last 12 months.

I missed quite a few threads so I didn't see all the plants posted on the forum. There are hundreds of plants that I liked this year.These are some that caught my eye.

I don't expect this thread to be a competition but let us know "What caught your eye?"

Paph Kolosand 'Green Dragon'
There is another photo of this plant on the forum but I couldn't find it. I don't know what to say about this other than it really appeals to me.

Kolosand'Green Dragon'
GM/TOGA GM/TPS FCC/AOS

Pollination Hopes of success
photo by yang-ji
thanks

I found the other pic...
GroupsChampion_07.jpg

Kolosand "Green Dragon" FCC/AOS, GM/TPS

Paph Liberty Taiwan
I love the colour and shape of this.

This cross is micranthum x hangianum and it's the second bloom for me on this plant. The first time I bloomed this one was in January 2010. The quality of the bloom this time is very comparable to last time. I like that consistency. Now, to just get it bulked up enough to get multiple blooms at the same time!

20237.jpg

20238.jpg

Paph dianthum

I've never seen a dianthum this dark. When I first saw this I searched on the net for another dianthum that compares to this one in regard to colour, I haven't found one yet.

In flower again although a lot later than usual. I'm a bit dissappointed I'm only getting 2 flowers on a spike. I was getting 3 flowers a spike a couple of years ago, but haven't since. Living up to its name I guess.

David

dianthum2011com2.jpg

dianthum2011com.jpg

Phrag Mini Grande

Not to many Mini Grande s' I don't like. I love the colour in this one.

I can't take credit for this one! I had a lovely visit with Joanne (aka "Yoyo Jo) last week. We spent the afternoon at Paramount where I left with another 6 slippers :) We had lunch at Joanne's and she was showing me her orchids, including this beauty she purchased from OL last year (I did too but mine shows no signs of blooming anytime soon :( ). I hope you don't mind me sharing this one with the group Jo!

Albertaflowers2010384.jpg

Pleurothallis amparoana

I really liked this...

Cute little fuzzy toilet bowls!

Pleurothallis_amparoana.jpg

Pleurothallis_amparoana-flowers.jpg

I always love seeing photos of Iweyshens plants. I could have chosen any but it is hard to beat these anitum hybrids.

anitum x sanderianum

188257_1308923578453_1691510078_538273_2085450_n.jpg

199530_1308923098441_1691510078_538268_6739322_n.jpg

199193_1308923178443_1691510078_538269_895117_n.jpg

Three plants is blooming first time.This cross have same defect.The petal terminal is thin.This defect common in anitum cross sanderianum Type hybrids like Prince Edwards of York x anitum.We just can hope the plants next time bloom with strong growers can improve this defect.

All terrific.
Interesting but not surprising that much of these are with "new" species so to speak.
I think gigantifolium crosses come out better than I would have predicted. gig X roth is nice also from the pictures I have seen.
Finally, the Liberty Taiwan is nice, but I wish the flower shape were more round (JK!).
JC

I'm glad the OP posted the Liberty Taiwan. That one flower has been stuck in my mind as something I need for my collection. Now with legal hangianum trickling into the US, hopefully it won't be too long before we can get some legal hangianum hybrids produced. But, I'm not holding my breath.

I don't know if it was originally posted this or last year, but the images of paph armeniacum growing every which way out of a moss-lined basket with flowers all over the place!

Also, the non-orchid images of someone's visit to places in I think australia? and maybe also some of the other amazing location collections

emydura's pics of his trek through Nepal were amazing. I showed them to several of my colleagues at work.

Excellent idea for a thread!

Highlights for me:

-John M's micranthum x hangianum

-edymura's Nepal photos

-the monster armeniacum

Although, it was posted in 2009, paphioland's Paph. Gloria Naugle blew my mind!

IMG_0567.jpg

....And Dot's Paph. Vipani made my heart skip a few beats! Wow!

Paph_Vipani-09.jpg

Really, there's so many good growers here, I could go on and on all afternoon, naming names and reposting photos!

I don't know if it was originally posted this or last year, but the images of paph armeniacum growing every which way out of a moss-lined basket with flowers all over the place!

Yeah It was very nice!

This is the first year that I've had Paph. armeniacum in bloom for 12 months of the year. This is a fresh flush of blooms that should be marking the next round. It blooms most heavily in the winter but this year there were 2 blooms that lasted all summer.

Papharmeniacum11-13-2011.jpg
[/IMG]

I am posting simply so I can get notified when more of these wonderful photos are posted! What a great thread!

Back