What can you tell me about emersonii?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I think the title asks it all. How large a leaf span much a emersonii be to bloom? How many growths? Any tips on growing these guys? (amount of light, water) Please share your knowledge, both successes and failures welcome. That's how we all learn.

I have one. I grow it in regular parvi conditions (think slightly warmer than micranthum) and it is pretty fast, so are the hangianums which are related.
I havent bloomed mine yet but the ones ive seen in bloom are around 25 cm from tip to tip. also, they like to be slightly dyer than the rest of the parvis but never dry. They seem to like hangianum conditions overall.

Well my research shows the opposite. Cool temps and moist to wet all year.
Tanaka: ''They love water...never dry!''

I'm interested in emersonii culture, too. Mine haven't changed much in 2 years.

one thing is sure they are slow growers. can't really contribute much other than i grow them with other paphs under fluoros and give them lots of water.

I have one. I grow it in regular parvi conditions (think slightly warmer than micranthum) and it is pretty fast, so are the hangianums which are related.
I havent bloomed mine yet but the ones ive seen in bloom are around 25 cm from tip to tip. also, they like to be slightly dyer than the rest of the parvis but never dry. They seem to like hangianum conditions overall.

I agree with this except for the fast part. Paph. emersonii are the slowest growing parvi I can think of.

Well my research shows the opposite. Cool temps and moist to wet all year.
Tanaka: ''They love water...never dry!''

I never said they like it warm, slightly warmer than micranthum is still pretty cool overall
and yes, they don't like being wet, just moist. Ive already killed one keeping it wet.
they do grow fastish for me, Ive heard they are super slow but all my parvis grow at around the same rate (except for vietnamense, which is very fast)

I never said they like it warm, slightly warmer than micranthum is still pretty cool overall
and yes, they don't like being wet, just moist. Ive already killed one keeping it wet.
they do grow fastish for me, Ive heard they are super slow but all my parvis grow at around the same rate (except for vietnamense, which is very fast)

You are doing something right! Vietnamense is slow for me and my emersonii seedlings are glacial.:mad:
Tell me what you do....

I tortured my present blooming plant for years starting as a wee seedling.

At first never getting much beyond 3-4-5 " across it would add a leaf - loose a leaf. Then add a growth - lose a growth, and all at a snails pace.

Then I cut the K and the plant turned into a normal Paph. Leaf span jumped to about about 8 inches, adding growths without loosing growths and bloomed.

I just posted the second blooming of this plant, and it continues to grow.

It's still in a 2 inch pot, and its been so long since repotted there's not much beside roots, spongerock and charcoal (any bark or chc is pretty much gone). A few times I spoon in a top dressing of shredded leaves from the front yard, but I don't know if that did anything.

I water daily with 5ppm N low K fert.

It's in the GH at the shadier end near the wet wall, but my GH is small so don't know if there is that much of microclimate difference for temps and humidity anyway. Winter low night temps about 60 and day Summer highs under 90F, when things are working normally.

I got a division of an emersonii from Leo a couple years ago. Been adding roots like crazy, but only moderate top growth action until recently. It's starting to add leaves and span at a better rate this spring.

I have one now ,Bob, that has 2 growths that are now in bud.I'll try to go out to try & check how many growths my plant has tomorrow but it has bloomed last year as well.

Here is my plant with the 2 buds .I tried counting the growths but would get lost as it is crowded --so gave up :). It's in a 5" pot.I'll post when blooms.I've had since 2008 which at that time had 2 growths.This is the huonglanae -Vietnamese type of emersonii.

Here is my plant with the 2 buds .I tried counting the growths but would get lost as it is crowded --so gave up :). It's in a 5" pot.I'll post when blooms.I've had since 2008 which at that time had 2 growths.This is the huonglanae -Vietnamese type of emersonii.

Outstanding! What are your secrets?

WOW Jane, that is the largest specimen I have ever seen in cultivation. Plus it is the variety I am looking for. I think even Holger would be jealous of that plant. Well done!

LOL-Eric. I guess I'll have to keep it in the vault at night or hire a Swat team to guard the property.

Latest posts

Back