What book are you reading?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't done any real leisurely reading lately cause ive been "trying" to study for the first section of my test. im so gonna bomb that test with flying colors....next test in jan...hope i can get into gear with that one

but anyways i digress....I will be on vaca this next week so i was looking at my bookshelf and i have a whole bunch of books sitting collecting dust many of which I haven't read yet. I came across two books one that read and one that i partially read that was interesting that i would love to finish

read - "Slum as a way of life" by F. Landa Jocano : And anthropological/sociological case study on the life of people in a slum community of Manila

partially read - "Conjectures of a Guilty Bystander" by Thomas Merton : Collection of thoughts by a trappist monk

I'm gonna toss a coin to see which one I'm gonna read first. I really should pick up a book that i haven't read yet but i do love the book by Jocano it keeps me grounded.
***edit

tails......Slum as a way of life it is :)

I've been (extremely) slowly pecking away at Stephen Jay Gould's The Structure of Evolutionary Theory. However, I haven't had a whole lot of time lately and that is definitely not a read-while-tired book, so I'm only a few dozen pages in.

I think the last real novel I read was Yann Martel's The Life of Pi. I kind of hated it.

I think I'll try to read Siddharta or something when I'm home for Thanksgiving break.

I can never read just one book at a time, currently on the nightstand....

Impact Teaching - Richard Allen(Teacher stuff...)

Dharma Punx - Noah Levine (Have read it a hundred times....but)

Freakonomics - Steven Levitt & Stephen Dubner

And of course the obligatory father's manual

The New Father - Armin Brott

Heather, you need to read "I Like You: Entertaining Under the Influence" by Amy Sedaris. Much more practical than Martha Stewart.:evil:

Loved Stardust. Loved His Dark Materials but got a little confused-->Now, which world are we in?

I need something new to read. A librarian friend recommended Terry Pratchett's latest series.

For the next few days, Hart and Wechsler's, The Federal Courts and The Federal System. Yep, it's that time of year again -- exam review.:sob:

I read The Pandas Thumb yrs ago, and ended up reading all of Gould's collected essays....they were great.

Recently I have been trying to finish Jared Diamond's "Guns, Germs, and Steel" which reviews the prehistory of the human race, but it has gotten pondersome in the last bit. Still, it is a great encapsulation of the important bits of our collective "history", which lead to the development of civilization.

And Harry Potter is a great escape, I am looking forward to the final installment!

Another fun escapist read was "The Time Travlers Wife"

The White Earth by Andrew McGahan

I have to say it's one of the most interesting and beautifully written books I've had the pleasure to read and it's hard to put down. It's won some literary prizes as well so if you like good literature then give it a go.

Pigeons, by Andrew Blechman.......don't ask.....I'm enjoying it a lot though...pretty funny. Just finished Flower Confidential, by AMY Stewart....very little on orchids, but still a great book about the flower industry. Take care, Eric

Wow...this thread has been around for almost a year and I still haven't opened a single book in that time. That must explain my progressive dumbening.

Jon

Book? What's a book? :rollhappy:

Haven't read anything lately besides excerpts from The Orchid Thief or Orchid Fever. Most of my readings are magazines.

Though I can't wait for the final Harry Potter book to be released.

Latest posts

Back